Garden Lights - Chapter 12

“Everyone, I have some exciting news!” the homeroom teacher informed to the noisy class in the morning of school, “Since this is your last year, we are going to have on last event to send you guys off with a happy memory.”

Everyone hushed down. They stared at the teacher in amazement and curiosity.

“Is it a concert?” someone said. “It’s a concert, isn’t it?”

“It’s a concert?” another asked excitedly.

“It’s a concert!”

“Sweet!”

The students whispered to one another while ignoring the teacher.

“Eh, no… it’s not a…”

“Who’s playing? Is it someone famous?”

“Whoever it is, it better not be that stupid boy band that’s getting famous these days.”

 “Everyone…..” the teacher said, a bit louder, but was still unheard.

They got louder and louder.

“Is there going to be a band present?”

“Of course, there is! What kind of a dumbass question is that?”

“I hope that hot famous rapper comes!”

“Which one?”

“Maybe we’re gonna be the ones playing on stage!”

“Say what?”

“EVERYONE!” the teacher roared while banging her fist against the table.

Everyone flinched and turned to her. They saw her angry face, which turned into a painful face as she clutched her hand.

“Ow, my hand,” she cried.

She then remembered that she was in class and put on a fake smile.

“I mean, no. It’s not. It’s going to be…. a prom!”’

The faces which had big smiles suddenly changed into confused ones. But there were also some excited smiles.

“A prom?”

“Yes, we have it every year for the third year students who are about to graduate.”

 “You mean,” a boy shivered, “We have to dance? And that one type in which slow music is being play?”

“It’s called a waltz,” she replied, “And yeah, that’s pretty much it.”

He dramatically stood up. “But I can’t dance!”

She grinned. “Then take dancing lessons.”

“From whom!?”

“Coach Smith.”

“Coach Smith!?” Everyone was shocked beyond belief.

The man, who loved nothing but sports and making a super sport’s team that would win him trophies and a legacy to live in, knew how to waltz?

“Seriously?”

“Seriously. Oh, and he won’t go easy on you, just for the record.”

The boy became silent. He gulped in, looking miserable, and sitting down in his seat.

“I’ll….manage…..”

The teacher evilly chuckled on the inside.

I knew that would scare the kid.