Garden Lights - Chapter 10

The third year of their school life had begun. Already, they were in the middle months of their new semester. Once again, the people in her new class had changed.

Vivian was sitting between two boys. Behind her was a girl, and in front of her sat Victor. In her new class, 3-A, she was with Cindy and Victor once more, as well as with Miki, Charlotte’s stoic roommate who, it seems, didn’t tolerate idiotic girls. But since Vivian wasn’t one they got along really well.

The class was bigger than the last two years’ classes. It accommodated twenty-six students, with twenty-six wooden desks and chairs. There were more windows in her class. On one side of the classroom wall it let the sunshine in, while on the opposite side it was connected to see the view of the halls.

Vivian, who was in-charge of collecting class assignments, was walking around the class. The teacher had permitted her to do so for collection. However, she could only do so after his class had finished and he had left. His absence meant for the students that they could stand up. Thus, everyone was roaming around, in the class or outside. Such was a norm. Half the students were ignoring her and the other half didn’t hear her. They were too engrossed in their idle chats.

“Um, excuse, can you please hand out your assignments?” she ordered, standing behind the teacher’s desk in front of the class. But, alas, no one heard her. She felt inferior due to this.

Then someone whistled. The whistle was so loud that everyone looked to see the source of the whistle. There, standing close to the girl in front of the black board, was a boy with tall and gorgeous boy. His hair which was as black as midnight and his glowing blue eyes were his distinctive features which made everyone recognize him.

His eyes were half-open but his blue orbs still sparkled in everyone’s eyes. 

“Listen up!” he ordered him in a grim manner, “Place your assignments on the desk right now!” He patted on the teacher’s desk. “She's is collecting them so hurry up and put them here right now!”

His voice had cast a spell on them as they were all obediently handing out their assignments and putting them the spot Victor had touched earlier. Exactly two minutes later, a large pile of twenty-six assignments, including her own, were stacked on top of it.

Vivian was relieved. She turned to Victor, her eyes filled with gratitude. “Thank you so much, Victor!”

“It wasn’t a big deal.” He crossed his arms. “Everyone would listen to me since I’m kinda popular.” He then glanced at the pile of assignments. "That looks heavy. Need a hand?”

She straightened her back. “Ah! Eh, no. You’ve done enough for me. I can carry this on my…“She tried to pick up the stack but she couldn’t. “… Own.”

“Right,” he sarcastically said, stretching the word. He walked over to the desk and picked up half of the pile on top. “I’ll carry this. You carry the other half. Where do we put this anyway?”

She picked up the other half as she was told to do so. “Oh, on the teacher’s desk in the teacher’s lounge.”

They then walked out of the class, carrying stacks of paper in their hands. There were a few students who were carefully observing them.

“Wow, they get along really well,” a boy whispered.

“He sure has changed.”

“Don’t you think he’s become a bit softer?”

“You’re friend sure is quiet a girl to be that close with him, Cindy,” a girl who was sitting beside Cindy and talking to her stated.

“Eh? I guess,” Cindy replied, “I always knew there was something about her.” She smiled. “That girl… she sure is something. To be friends with him is every girl’s dream here. I just hope she doesn’t get hurt by those envy eyes.”