Garden Lights - Chapter 15

No words could describe that moment. It was a coincidence that they met again in the same university, and yet she felt that fate was toying with her beating heart.

She couldn't sleep in her. As she lay on her soft bed, her eyes stared at the ceiling. Like a recorded baseball game that her dad records when he's away, the memory played again and again and again. Although it was real, it felt unreal in some ways. Could one really meet their ex after just forgetting about him in the same university? Life really is unfair.

"Vivian?"

"Bobby?"

The boy looked equally surprised but there was a smile on his face, unlike hers which a gaping mouth.

"I can't believe I'm seeing you here."

"Me neither." And she meant it.

"What are you doing here?"

"I study here."

His eyes widened.

"Really? So I guess that means we'll be seeing each other often, huh?" He chuckled.

She didn't laugh.

She kept on staring.

The only thing that responded was the intense beating of her heart.

Calm down! Calm down, dammit! You're over him!

She screamed at herself mentally. She ordered to calm herself but her pale face gave away.

"Vivian, you okay?"

"Yeah...." she managed a smile that masked her worry. "Just a bit tired since I slept late at night."

A lie. But she hoped it would make him leave her alone since she had to go home.

The young man looked at her but then laughed.

"What? That's so unlike you! Did you change that much?"

"People tend to change over time. Sometimes it just comes and other times it's necessary."

He finally stopped laughing. He looked a little attentive.

"So... I heard you were in a boarding school?"

"... yeah."

"So was I. It was an all-boys boarding school though. My father wanted me to go there since he went there too. I didn't mind since I didn't know which school to choose after our old one."

"... yeah." She held her arm and looked down with a small smile.

He paused for a while. He noticed that she didn't look interested.

"Are you going to your class?"

"No, my classes ended. I'm going home."

"Want me to walk you home? I've got tons of free tome before my class begins."

"No, it's fine." That's the one thing she didn't want. "My house is close so I'll walk by myself.

He raised a brow. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Thanks for the offer though."

With that, she turned around and walked away almost too fast but he stood there staring at her.

She didn't look back at him. She kept walking down the street to her house as if nothing happened. When she entered her home through the fence gate, she collapsed on her knees in the garden.

"W-w-w-what just happened?" She whispered to herself, trying to grasp the situation at hand.

"Yoohoo! Vivian!"

She turned to look up her neighbors' balcony and saw two young women standing there.

"How was your first day at college?" Gracie asked with her usual welcoming smile. She was leaning against the railing.

"What are you? Her mother?" Fern asked her instead, standing straight with her stern demeanor in place.

"Well, I would be happy if I was. I could dress her up against her will and kill any boy who tries to take my cute daughter away from me." She playfully replied with a smile as if her answer was not disturbing.

"What is wrong with you?"

Vivian was forgotten about for a minute.

But Vivian, nonetheless, answered.

"It... it...." she stammered.

The two girls heard her and looked at her.

"It was so awkward!" She finally burst out.

The next thing Vivian knew was that she was sitting in Gracie's living room, having a warm cup of tea of Gracie's.

"Here you go." Her neighbor placed the teacup on the coffee table in front of Vivian.

"Thank you," she answered and sipped it. A warm sensation went through her body. The sweetness was perfectly blended in it.

The living room was completely red. The couches, carpets, curtains and wallpaper was dark velvety red. The only thing that wasn't was the polished brown coffee table in the middle. There was a glass door that connected to the balcony where Gracie and Fern were standing half an hour ago.

"Is it good?" Gracie asked, sitting the closest to her.

She nodded slowly. "As always."

Gracie didn't say anything but gave a happy smile.

"So? What did you say to him?" Her older sister interjected, sitting the opposite to her on an armchair, resting her face on her fist.

"Not much. I left before we could have a conversation."

Her sister sighed in exasperation. "Honestly, I thought you were over him now."

"I am!"

"Then stop acting like a woman who needs a man to live." Her voice was strict.

"I'm not...!"

"Don't interrupt an adult when they're taking."

Despite her sister's unfairness, she kept her mouth closed.

"Geez, Fern, you're so harsh." Gracie touched Vivian's hand. "Vivi, he's no one to you now so you shouldn't be scared and let your heart be broken forever. You can have a talk with him. There are people who have much worse relationship issues than you."

"I know that I'm an idiot."

"You're not an idiot. Just too sensitive."

"He's a good man, though."

"I know. Just not a good boyfriend."

She stared at the two, her eyes flickering from one girl to the other. "Thank you." She whispered so low that she couldn't be heard properly.

"But, man, who would've thought that your ex would be in the same university as you."

Fern slumped into her seat.

"Yeah..." She bit her lower lip and sipped her tea.

That day, when the Sun has vanished with the appearing darkness, as she lay on her bed, twisting and turning, thinking with no peace to her mind

I just want to sleep.

With that command, she finally felt her eye lids becoming heavy until sleep seized her.

I think I should get another boyfriend.