Garden Lights - Chapter 1 (Part 2)

“How’s Vivian?” asked the boy with dirty blonde hair, wearing a grey polo shirt.

“Fine,” was the reply.

“You’re not making her cry again, are you?” he asked, “I heard you yelling at her and something about crying. Did you make her cry again?”

“What’s it to you?” the girl with short black hair and blue eyes said loudly, causing two women to look in her direction.

“Well, that’s all you do, Fern. Make people cry because you can’t say nice things,” said the other boy sitting beside her, having black hair as well.

“Shut the hell up, Mike!”

“See what I mean? Ouch!”

Fern had kicked the boy’s leg hard under that table, and his scream made everyone outside the café look at the trio sitting in the middle. They ignored their staring and silently sipped their juices. The other customers went back to their own businesses.

“Can’t you act like a girl for once?” said the boy named Mike.

“Can’t you act decent for once?” said Fern, gritting her teeth.

“Can’t you both behave just for once?” calmly said the other boy, whose name was John. He was looking at the two with unconcerned eyes as she sipped his mango juice.

“Tell him!”

“Tell her!”

“I’m telling you both!” He sighed.

The three of them had been friends since the fifth grade, but how they remain friends is a question even they don’t know. Mike and Fern have always been fighting. It’s only John who acts calm and mature, not getting involved in places he shouldn’t be but always interrupting their petty fights. Like Fern, Mike had a nasty attitude. Maybe that’s how they got along.

“What’s wrong with you anyway? You’ve been sour all day. I mean, more than usual,” Mike asked.

“Nothing.”

“She broke up with her boyfriend,” John said, sipping his juice again.

“Another one!?”

“How the hell do you know that?” she asked him, baffled.

“The whole school knows it. You were dating a football jock, so when you break up, word gets around.”

“Ah, this is not my day!” She banged her head on the table, not caring if it hurt.

“You really should get an award for the girl who could never keep a relationship.”

“Shut up, Mike! It’s not my fault. He was such a idiot. I couldn’t take it anymore.”

“He was jock. What do you expect?” Mike said as he sipped his orange juice.

“I know, I know. At least Vivian’s having it better than me. Her first boyfriend and she’s already so lovey-dovey.”

“Ah, so it was jealousy?” asked Mike with a smile.

“I remember how happy you were for her when she said she had a boyfriend. You were actually acting like a big sister at that time.” John also smiled.

“Ahh! Get off my back you two!” She drank her entire apple juice in one gulp. “Come on, let’s go!”

“But we haven’t even finished!”

“Like I care!”