Garden Lights - Chapter 23

The infernal heat raised the thermometer to its limit if a thermometer were present. Even the leaves were sweating like people. The current of air was almost dead in the greenery. It was such a pain to be outside, yet people had to. The man that spoke about the weather being hot yesterday had mistaken only a day.

Nothing felt better than drinking ice cold water on the bench under the shade, and wiping the seat of with a wet napkin.

"Why is it hot all of a sudden?" The girl, with a bun tied up, said aloud to no one in particular but herself.

It was as if yesterday's rain didn't even occur.

But, I still love you. And I'll never let you go like I did at that time.

But that wasn't.

She touched her lower lip involuntarily, feeling the traces of his lips disappearing, but the image of him was clear as the sky today.

Even though he's confessed so many times, yesterday was the first time his confession got through to her. His "I love you" reached her somehow, and she thought of giving him another chance.

She scolded herself for being weak. She didn't hate it, and that was what she hated. So much for moving on and forgetting. What is all for naught if she still felt something for him?

Did she even love him, despite denying to all, even herself?

"Ah, who cares?"

She fanned herself with her hand, not really being much of use. A guy walking by her looked at her skeptically when she spoke aloud. She didn't notice him so she continued to do what she wanted to do.

She checked her phone when it vibrated in her pocket. It was a forwarded message of a joke about criminal and a judge from her friend. It was a simple message that would bring a bit of cheer if not a big laugh.

Should I send this to Bobby?

She wanted to send it know but she knew he had his class going on so she couldn't at the moment.

She sipped her water again, turning her phone off. But, she suddenly turned it on again and gazed at the time on her front screen.

She nearly choked on her water.

Damn, it's time already! I have to get to the club before I'm scolded like the day before yesterday!

She grabbed her bag, dashing towards a building, throwing out the disposable bottle in the trashcan on her way.

She arrived on time, sweating more than anyone. A member thought she'd get a heat stroke and so he let her have his juice box which she willingly accepted. After that, she changed her attire for her Aikido club.

"Raise your arms a little more!" the instructor called out.

Vivian, doing as told, raised her arms higher at her opponent, a senior that looked frail but was actually strong enough to defend himself. He charged at her, and she ducked a bit, catching his arm and through him down on the soft mattress.

"Good!" the instructor praised her. "Next!"

The next opponent stood in front of her. It was a girl but she was a pro. Vivian was panicking a little, but kept her cool. From that, she was able to take her down.

"Alright, last opponent!"

The third was little tough, since the person was good at dodging. It took her a while but she managed to make him land on the mattress in defeat.

"Alright, that's enough for today. Well done, guys. Same goes for you, Vivian."

"Thanks, Coach."