Garden Lights - Chapter 5 (Part 2)

During lunch break, Vivian and her friends were sitting outside, on the benches, their usual spot, having their lunch. The three of them were wearing scarves as it was cold, but the scenery and the atmosphere around them was calm and soothing; it was hard not to enjoy lunch outside.

Vivian was eating an egg sandwich, while Charlotte munched on some healthy salad.

“What do you guys think of this sale?” Charlotte suddenly asked.

“Umm… I guess it’s fine with me,” Cindy slowly said as she chewed on her potato chips.

“I’m actually really excited!” Vivian prompted, “Since this year is about to end, I want to do lots of things.”

“You’re happy as always, Vivian.”

“Well, that’s because….”

“Hmmm?” She faced her with full attention, wondering what she might say.

“We might now be together in the same class, but what about next year? Although we’ll still be close, I want to make a lot of memories with you guys as my classmates. This first year has gone so quick with so much happening. I just want to have as much fun as I can with you guys before graduation!” She smiled so pleasantly, that Cindy quickly dropped her sandwich and went to hug her tightly.

“Aww, Vivian! You’re so cute!”

“Eh?”

“You’re so innocent and cheerful! If I were a guy, I’d attack you!”

“Wait, what!?”

“I worry about our safety now,” Charlotte muttered quietly.

After lunch was over, they went back to the class. Everyone had already gathered but they weren’t sitting. Instead they had worried looks on their faces. The teacher was also there, but she didn’t say anything to anyone.

“What’s wrong?” Vivian asked a girl who standing the closest to her by gently grabbing her shoulder.

“Ms. Haven told us to decide a theme.”

“You mean, right now?”

“Yeah,” a male classmate interrupted, “The preparations are beginning from today.”

“What? But this is too soon,” Cindy said.

“Yeah, well, there’s nothing we can do about it. All the classes have to decide a theme. We don’t have to answer right away, but we have to think about it.”

“From tomorrow onwards,” Ms. Haven spoke aloud, “You’ll be getting thirty minutes of free time for your preparation. You can give me an answer tomorrow, but you have to decide today.”

She then walked leisurely to the door.

“Well, ciao, kids!” She winked. Everyone quickly looked at her.

“Wait, Ms. Haven!” someone called out, “Where are you going?”

“To the teachers’ lounge where all the other teachers are.” She smiled at the student who asked the question.

“All the teachers are there?”

“Aren’t going to help us?” Vivian intervened.

“Nope, none of the teachers are supposed to. If you recall I said “you” are going to make some products on your own and sell them.”

And with another wink and smile, she was gone through the door.

And everyone started to panic.

“What are we going to do?”