Chapter 8: Secrets and Decisions part 3

April 22nd, 2010

Kota's pov.

It's a beautiful day in Charleston today. My family and I are finishing up preparing for my sister Jessica's graduation party. She graduated last Friday as Valedictorian of her class. We are at our combined home of all 14 of us. We were so proud of her when she got up to do her speech.  I believe out of all of us Mom, North, Raven, Marc and Gabe were the loudest. It's been a great five years. Out team has grown so much. Our powers have increased through the training and family support we given each other.

Our team has become the top ACADEMY TEAM in the state. We have completed numerous missions and gained favors for each member of our family. Each member has been able to graduate and out of the red with our favor count. We can focus on building our life now together than missions to get out of debt. My brothers are the greatest family I could have aside from my mom and sister of course.

Owen and I are putting up the streamers across the yard. Marc, Luke, Sean, and Gabe are filling up the balloons with helium. I can see Luke and Marc trying to suck in a little helium form the balloons to change their voices. Gabe is laughing and rolling around on the ground. Sean is fussing at them about the dangers of doing it while trying to hold back a smile too.

Our brother always looking out for us. Nathan, Victor, and Brandon are setting up tables and chairs for everyone. It’s going to be us and our families. Jessica invited a few friends too. Axel and Silas are setting up drinks and snacks while food is being cooked for the guests. North, Raven, Theo, and Charlie are preparing the grill. They are making burgers, chicken, steaks, ribs, hot dogs, sausages. ( there are three grills going and one runner.)

There is enough food for everyone to have as much as they want and leftovers. Corey, Pam, my Mom, Jessica and Phil are inside preparing the other food. Mom and Pam are making desserts, and Jessica and Corey making the sides like potato salad, pasta salad and mac and cheese, and backed beans. Phil is setting up the buns, condiments, and any other items for the party.

Suddenly we see Jess running out of the house. She is jumping up and down. We panic and rush to her. I’m first to get to her. I reach out my hands to hold her arms. “What's wrong Jess? "  I’m checking her over with my eyes for any injuries. Jess stops bouncing and smiles.  “I GOT IN, I GOT IN," She says to us. Owen steps up next to me. "Where did you get in?"

Jessica calms down, but still smiling. “Mom and I picked up the mail before coming here. We left it in the car and I never got to look it over.  Mr. Phil asked me if I was accepted into any colleges. I told him the colleges were a secret until I hear back.  I left to go check the mail just in case a few minutes ago. I received acceptance letters to two of the colleges I’ve been hoping for. Metropolis University in Metropolis, Kansas and Central Kansas University! I’m so excited I got into both.”

North steps up next to ask Jess, " Aurora, ( North's nickname for her) which college are you wanting to go to? We all want to know. Where would you live? Do you want to live on campus or in a home?" Jess laughs at North being his protective self. She’s is blind to our inner turmoil of how far Kansas is. We are so proud of her, but goodness gracious that’s far. I keep quiet until I can talk to my brother privately.

" I did some research if I go to Metropolis University. I will have to live in the dorm rooms for two years. The apartments after that time will; be expensive, but if I have a job I would be able to afford one.  But if I go to Central Kansas University there's a small town about 30 minutes away called Smallville. I was thinking of finding a place there and travel. Honestly, you know we are small town folks. I feel more comfortable in a small town. I know cities are cool too, but I want to be comfortable and feel safe. I don’t want to feel overwhelmed for my first time away from home. I feel Central Kansas University is where I want to go.”