Chapter 4: 3 Years of Impatience

Tadashi's POV

That night, I laid out in my bed. I was tired but couldn't pull myself to close my eyes. Just a few blocks down the road, there was a friend that I hadn't seen in three years! Memories of the past few years flew through my head. How boring they were. How uneventful. All because Chántel hadn't been there to give me language lessons and science lessons. All because she hadn't been there to criticize my art and teach me more awesome baseball plays.

Tonight felt like the night she left, only better. Or did it feel better? I couldn't tell. I had so many emotions cutting through me, I could hardly take it. A metal nut hit me in the face.

"You're being too quiet over there, Tadashi. And when you get quiet, that's because you're thinking hard about something. What's on your mind?" Hiro walked over to retrieve the nut and replace it among his box of spare parts.

"I can't believe it. Three years ago, I lost my best friend. And now, she's back," I said as I looked over at Hiro. It was late and we were both tired, I knew, but I needed someone to talk to.
"Well, it's obviously distracting you, bro. I mean, look at yourself. Usually you run on this schedule after school:

1) Go to the field and practice baseball
2) Come home and do homework
3) Shower
4) Get into pjs and go to sleep.

And today you stayed late at the field, only half-finished your homework, didn't shower and you're not even dressed for bed."

I looked at myself. He was right. I had come home late and only finished half of my work. I was still in day-clothes and hadn't showered. Something was different. Why was I all of the sudden changing things up? On the day Chántel came back?

"Dude, there is obviously something you're not seeing," Hiro said. "Even though it's clearer than day." He added quietly.
"What was that last part?"
"Oh nothing."
"Hiro.."
"I'm serious! It was nothing!"
"HIRO!"
"Ok ok! Calm down! I said 'even though it's clearer than day.'"

"What's clearer than day?"
He facepalmed himself. "TADASHI! Wake up! Can't you see it?"
"See what?"
"You seriously need to splash water on your face."
"Hiro, what is it that you see that I can't."

He walked across the room and at down in a chair. "Chántel! Can't you see it? Every time you smile, she turns pink! And even though you don't admit it, when she left you seemed to be down. Upset. When she came back, you lit up like a Christmas tree! You two like each other!"

I felt myself get hot. "No Hiro. She doesn't like me. And I didn't light up like a Christmas tree."
"You're in denial."
"Am not."
"Are to."
"Am not."
"Are to."
"Am NOT."
"ARE TO."
"AM NOT."
"ARE TO."
"HIRO I AM NOT IN DENIAL!! I DIDNT LIGHT UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE AND SHE DIDNT TURN PINK WHEN I SMILED."

Hiro shrugged and turned around walking back to his bed and flopping down on it.
"Say what you want to Tadashi, but I'm telling you she turned pink and you are so in denial."

I felt like punching him. Was I in denial? And if Hiro says so, then does that mean it wasn't just my imagination that she turned pink?