Chapter 16: Real Baseball

Tadashi's POV

I set the time-capsule on my desk and noticed an envelope that hadn't been there before. I picked it up and looked at it. On the back it said 'Paid in Full' in Chántel's handwriting. I opened it to find a note....and a baseball ticket.

I opened the note:

Tadashi,
The next N vs. R baseball game is today, 5:00. I bought you a ticket. I'll meet you there!
Love, Chántel

I looked at the time. 4:45. I had fifteen minutes to make it to the game. And the field was across town. I ran out of the cafe and grabbed my motorbike. I raced through the streets to make it to the field. I took a shortcut through a couple of back alleys.

I finally, after a crazy ride through town, arrived at the field. I checked the time. 4:55. It had taken me 10 minutes to get here. I rushed through the gate, just barely making it in. I gave them my ticket and searched for my seat. That's when I saw her.

She was looking around the stadium, her blue eyes not missing anything. Her hair style was unmistakeable. I walked down to her seat.
"Chántel...I made it."

She practically gleamed with joy at the sight of me. We sat down and watched the game. She had bought cokes and hotdogs for the both of us. It felt so much like a dream.

It brought back so many memories of high school games. And then came the memory of the accident. I pushed it to the back of my mind. I wanted to enjoy this game with her. I couldn't bear the thought of never watching another game like this with her.

I looked at her. She was cheering on the Rangers.
"Not this time, Chántel," I said loudly.
"Oh yea this time!" She smiled triumphantly. "Oh yea this time."
"GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!!" I yelled at the player on the Ninjas team. If he got out, then Rangers would be up at bat.
"Gethimgethimgethimgethimgethim!!" Her words connected as she screamed at the Rangers to get him out. He ran and ran and ran and......SAFE AT HOME!!!! If my team could get another run, then we had this game in the bag.
~
By the time the last inning had come around, both teams were tied. Rangers at bat. One strike. The windup, and the pitch! Swing, CRACK!! The ball went flying.....right into the stands! Chántel reached up and.... I caught it. She looked up. If my hand hadn't been above hers, she would've lost it. I handed her the ball. She handed it back.
"They need to haunt you."

I smiled and swore she turned a little pink. She had a Rangers cap on her head and I had Ninjas cap on mine. I leaned in to give her a small peck on the lips but the bills of our hats hit first pushing us back. I turned my head a little and kissed her.

"Look, it's a Ranger and a Ninja!" I heard someone say. I looked at the big screen and there we were. Caught on camera, kissing. A girl in a Rangers cap and a guy in a Ninjas cap. We pulled back and laughed.

Then something hit me. She had kissed me back.