Chapter 15: Objects of Past

Tadashi's POV

I stared at the objects as I pulled them out of the time capsule. Photos of past Ninjas vs. Rangers games, all of her tickets to every game, a baseball autographed by the Rangers, a photo of Hiro and me eating ice cream. The photo after that was the almost the same, except Chántel was in the photo and we had made a mess of the ice cream. There were a few note collections of when we used to pass notes in class, sketches that I had made and give to her, and an old movie ticket. One photo that caught my eye was a photo that I remembered Aunt Cass taking.

~5 years ago; the Lucky Cat Cafe; Tadashi's room~

Tadashi's POV

I had put on a movie for us to watch. It was the beginning of our junior year in high school. The movie was about a boy who's brother died in a fire. When the brother realizes that the fire might've not been an accident, he goes out looking for revenge on his brother's death by turning his friends into superheroes. They discover that the villain wasn't who they thought he was, and finally save the city from destruction. The basic move theme.

Chántel and I were lying on my bed with one humongous bowl of popcorn, while we watched the movie. We laughed practically the entire time, it was so hilarious. Hiro had tattled on us for being to loud. Aunt Cass had come upstairs with her camera and took a photo of us, laying there and watching a movie.

She had spent the night with me, falling asleep before the end of the movie. I had wrapped my arms around her and fell asleep with her.

The next morning she awoke to quite a surprise. She was lying there with me, her legs had wrapped themselves around one of mine and my arms around her. Her forehead was touching mine.

I opened my eyes, with a happily peaceful look on my face, to see the look on her face was shock. There was the flash of a camera and I looked up to see Hiro giggling about the photo he had just took. Chántel seemed absolutely shocked by the positions we had awoken to. And while she was shocked I probably did the stupidest thing ever: I kissed her. Right there. I had no idea what I had been thinking, I just kissed her full on the lips. For the first few seconds, she seemed to enjoy it and then she came to her senses and slapped me.

She untangled herself from me and jogged out of the cafe. I stood up and looked out the window to see her leaning against the building with her hand covering her mouth. Then she left.

I jumped back into my bed, smiling like an idiot. The same thought ran through my head over and over:
I kissed Chántel, the prettiest girl on campus. And she slapped me for it.

~end flashback~

I smiled as I looked at the photo Hiro had taken of us, lying there, our bodies tangled together, the look of plain, stupid happiness written all over my face, and shock all over Chántel's.

I hadn't noticed it, but tears were streaming down my cheeks as I reminisced on all of the photos, tickets, sketches and everything else. Then I saw the ring. I had given her an aquamarine stone ring for her 17th birthday. Our senior year (she had moved up a year in middle school, she said) I had asked her to be my girlfriend. That was her birthday present from me. I remembered that it had lasted until she left for Texas.

So after all this time, she had kept it.