Chapter 17: More than just a Hat

Tadashi's POV

The Rangers had won. We left the game, my arm around her. People laughed when they saw us, two opposing teams, in love. Chántel looked up at me.
"Tadashi....I have something to tell you," she said, worry filling her voice. We had had such a good time at the game. Now there was something bad she wanted to tell me. We reached her pick-up truck. I put my motorbike in the back and called shotgun.

"Chán, what's up?"
She sighed. "I enjoy being around you, you are a great kisser, you're sweet and kind and my best friend, but--"
"You're not ready for a relationship like this, are you."
"No, no. I would love to be in a relationship with you, but this is in my way," she looked down at her hand, where a silver ring was on her finger.

"You're married?"
"No! No. I'm engaged. To someone I don't love. They found me. My parents. They arranged my marriage with someone I don't love. And the wedding is in a few weeks. He's here, my fiancé. There is no where in this world that I can hide without them finding me. I thought I would be safe here, but I was wrong. Oh, Tadashi, I wish you were the one who had given me the ring, I wish you were the one who I was getting married to, I...I can't stand living without you..." She sobbed and hugged me. I hugged her back.
"Hey, I'll help you find a way out of this. Your parents can't do this to you. I'm not going to let you get away from me. Not this time. Never again will I, Tadashi Hamada, let you, Chán Cruz, go. Ever again. I promise," I said as I pulled out the birthday ring. She gasped. "Chántel, I'm using this as a symbol of my promise to you. You wear this and remember that I'll do whatever I can to stop this wedding." And with that I put it on her finger. She smiled with tears in her eyes.

We tried to kiss again, only for the bills of our hats to hit each other. We both put our hats on backwards and just sat there, in her pick-up, enjoying a deep and passionate kiss. I never wanted to let go of her, but I had to so we could head home.

"It's not just a hat," I said to her.
"What?"
"This. It's not just a hat." I pointed to the SFN hat on my head. "It's my memory of you. Of the accident. Of everything that happened in our high school years."

"Way more than just a hat, Tadashi. Way more." She smiled as she drove.