Chapter Five ANDEE and the PIRATE FISHERMEN

Andee had swum so fast in all the excitement, he'd left the dolphins behind.

"Where am I? I don't recognize this part of the reef. And it's getting dark!"

Suddenly he heard what sounded like a distress signal. "What's that? Where's it coming from?" A message connected with his mind. Within a few moments, he understood what was being said.

"The dolphins!" His brow furrowed. "One of them is in trouble!"

Andee spun on his flipper and powered back across the water, following the ever-disappearing wake he'd made on his way out. Faster and faster, he shot as the distress signal intensified.

He raised his head out of the waves "I hear a boat! It sounds like a fishing trawler. Yuck! The fumes from the diesel engines are making me feel sick! What could've happened? Where are Tingo and Tango?"

He stuck his facemask back under, where he spotted a giant fishing net dragging along the seabed by the trawler. Worse still—Tango was captured inside it. "Oh no! Tango's caught in the net!"

Tango was suffocating, trapped amongst a prize catch of tuna for the day.

"Andee, Andee," Tingo cried. "Do something, quickly, before they haul Tango up onto the boat and he's lost forever."

"I'm coming to the rescue!" Andee bolted toward the net.

"Your fin, Andee. Use your fin!" shouted Dad dolphin, who had been trying helplessly to set his son free. "Use your fin to cut open the net."

Andee raced to Tango. "Help me Andee," he pleaded. "I can't breathe."

"I'm going to get you out of there, Tango. Just hold steady, now." With great precision and determination on his face, taking care not to hurt any of the other fish, Andee raised his shark fin, slicing through the fishing net.

"That's it! Tango, work yourself free, boy. Keep going!" Andee continued to saw at the net.

With one final stroke of Andee's fin, Tango shot out along with all the other fish and marine life that had been trapped inside.

"Thanks, Andee." Tango gasped with relief, flipping to the surface for oxygen.

"Don't mention it, Tango!" Andee saluted. "You're safe now."

"We never could've gotten Tango free without you, Andee," said Dad dolphin.

"Are you okay?" Andee asked Tango as he dove back down.

"A bit shaken, but I'm fine now, Andee," replied Tango. "Thank goodness you arrived in time."

"You have proven yourself today, Andee," said Dad dolphin. "You are the Chosen One. Every day, around the world, dolphins and other marine life are killed or injured by fishing nets. Without you, Tango would have surely perished."

That very moment, Andee realized how great a responsibility he had to his family—and to the rest of the ocean life.

"Come on. It's getting very late, let's go home. We've had enough excitement for one day," said Dad dolphin.  

They hightailed off, leaving the tattered fishing nets behind them.

"Those fishermen won't know what bit them when they see the tear in their net!" bleated Tingo.

"Come on." Andee laughed. "I'll race you all home!"

And they disappeared in a whoosh of foam