Chapter Twenty-One EVIL and GOLD

The next morning, Andee was served a splendid breakfast. Yolanda looked even more beautiful as she joined him at the table. The king joined them too, as he wanted to know more about the Wise White Dolphin and, of course, the Lost City.

Days went by, and their friendship grew stronger.

Yolanda and Andee loved exploring the castle and the grounds of the kingdom together. Most evenings, the merpeople would enjoy a party with fantastic music and singing and an abundance of delicious foods. Merpeople, of course, loved to dance, and Yolanda had fun teaching Andee.   

He watched her as she danced. She looks like an angel, he thought. Her eyes sparkled, and her hair bounced gently around her. 

*****

Andee was having a wonderful time in the Water Spirit Kingdom and growing stronger day by day. The more he recovered, the greater his suit recovered, too.

One day, on a warm afternoon, they went for a swim. Yolanda cheered when Andee summersaulted and dove. She was thrilled to see his full suit appear.

"It's all healed!" she shouted. "Such a clever suit!"

"How about a race?" Andee suggested. "To test it."

"You're on!" Yolanda replied. As she dove into the pool, her long fish's tail appeared, lashing her forward. "Catch me if you can!"

They swam off as fast as they could and soon agreed that Andee and his suit were finally mended. They played happily for a while in the sun's haze then stopped to rest. But a sadness grew over Andee while they sat beside a waterfall.

"It's time, isn't it?" Yolanda said, regarding Andee's sorrowful face.

"Yes, I must go back. I have to try to find my parents. Plus, the ocean needs me ... and I miss my dolphin family."

"How will you ever get back?"

"I don't know." Andee groaned. "Maybe there's a way back from where you found me?"

"The Black Sea?" Yolanda drew her brows together.

"Yes," replied Andee.

"But it's so dangerous; you were almost killed!"

Andee let out a restless sigh.

"Maybe we could ask my father, and he could help you return," said Yolanda, hands clasped.

"It's not that I want to leave you," Andee said as he gazed into her eyes. "You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen." He kissed her on the cheek.

Yolanda said, "I don't want you to go ... but you need to find your parents. I will miss you so much."

"Maybe you could come with me," said Andee. "We could find my parents together, and you could also help me to look after marine life. You'd be great, Yolanda!"

Yolanda became anxious. "It wouldn't be easy," she said. "No one has ever left this kingdom; you cannot pass through these waters. And I must care for my father too."

As she glanced down, she noticed something glistening in the sunlight. "What's sticking out of your pocket?" she asked.

"Oh, it's my golden necklace." You know—the one you gave back to me. It's my—"

"Shhh," Yolanda stopped him. "You shouldn't say that word so loud."

"What is the meaning of this?" demanded an evil tone.

Yolanda gasped, switching around. Zadora stood with two mermen guards staring at the gold locket.

"The human boy has gold," she hissed, "and you kept it a secret! Give me that gold, boy!" She snarled at Andee as the guards raised their tridents in attack.

"But, Zadora," cried Yolanda, "he has a pardon from my father. No one should harm him. Why are you doing this?"

"Your father is dying!" sneered Zadora. "He hasn't got long now, child, and soon I will rule this kingdom. I will be queen."

"Quick, Andee!" Yolanda shouted. "SWIM!"

Andee and Yolanda dove into the sea, cutting through the water as the mermen guards gave chase.

"Seize the boy," Zadora roared, "and take the gold!"

They swam as fast as they could to the edge of the kingdom where a giant coral wall loomed up in front of them

"What do we do now?" Andee called through the water. "We're trapped, and they're gaining on us fast!"

"The Black Sea is on the other side of this wall." Yolanda pointed. "I know a secret way through. Come on!"

She darted to the bottom of the wall, stopping by a large boulder. "Oh no! They must have found the entrance I was using and blocked it off! Hurry, Andee, give me a hand to move it. They're getting closer!"

Together they heaved the rock to one side, creating a small gap to squeeze through.

"Follow me." Yolanda beckoned. "This is the only way into the Black Sea. I found it a long time ago."

"The Black Sea?" questioned Andee. "But aren't you afraid, Yolanda?"

"No! It's our only chance to escape her."

"If you saved me from the Black Sea last time, then I will save you this time!" said Andee with courage in his eyes.

They smiled at each other before disappearing through the wall.

The guards followed them to the hidden entrance behind the rock, but as they approached, they hesitated. "The Black Sea," they hissed. "They've entered the Black Sea!"

"Follow them! We must get the boy and the gold," seethed Zadora.

"It's too dangerous, Zadora," they snarled.

"You two—" Zadora said cunningly. "If you help me get this gold, I will share it with you and more. Now, do as I command!"

The mermen scowled then passed through the hole, one by one.