Chapter 27

I had been home for three weeks.

I never called Luke back.

I threw myself into work as a distraction. We recorded all four of my songs as we had some appearances to make this week. I woke up on Monday and forced a smile onto my face. I ate breakfast with my mum and got dressed in my comfy clothes.

The TV was playing in the family room and I could hear a trashy talk show in the background. Once again the story of Luke and I being possibly split up was being talked about.

Why did people care so damn much?

We're not that special.

I winced at the word break up coming from the host's voice and got to my feet to put my bowl in the dishwasher.

"I'll turn it off," Mum said, pressing the power button on her controller.

"Watch whatever you want mum," I told her with a tiny smile. "I have a meeting anyways."

She nodded and turned it back on.

I climbed the steps two at a time until I was back in the safety of my bedroom.

Liz and Chloe picked me up at two in the company car. I slid into the backseat and said my hellos.

"Do you know what this is about?" Liz asked, eyes never leaving her phone screen.

"Nope," I hummed, popping my gum.

"Do you think it's about the award show?" Chloe asked.

"Maybe," Liz nodded.

We were performing tomorrow at the big MTV show in London. Almost everyone in our label was going to be there along with some other big bands.

5 Seconds of Summer included.

"You're freaking out already," Liz noted when her eyes fell on my face.

"I'm fine," I lied.

"Maddie calm," She snapped. "The song is great and we don't have to talk to them."

"But everyone's going be asking questions," I smirked.

They let out quiet sighs because they knew I was right.

"And Luke's going to try and find me," I whispered.

"Maybe you should talk to him," Chloe squeaked.

I shot her a look but she didn't budge.

"Maybe he can explain,"

"I don't want him to explain," I said, pushing my chin up in the air.

"But you love him," She frowned.

I shook her off and looked down at my phone instead. My Twitter feed had been going crazy lately. I read a few messages but had trouble avoiding the ones about Luke.

I threw my phone down on the seat in frustration.

There was no escaping Luke Hemmings.

No matter how hard I tried.

***

Award show day is always busy. We were dropped off at the venue early in the morning for rehearsal. The girls and I just decided to hang around the city before we had to be back for wardrobe and the red carpet.