Kabanata 10 (His Karma)

Nayeli

Hindi niya maintindihan ang sarili. She seemed to be drowning in Zayd's kiss. However, she mustered all her strength to push him away. When she finally got out of it, she turned her back on him.

"Nayeli, stop!" he called but she didn't even bother to look back.

When he suddenly fell into a canal. She screamed in annoyance.

B. A. D. L. U. C. K

"Are you okay? Bakit kasi ayaw mong makinig, ayan tuloy" Zayd said, extending his hand.

Hindi niya iyon tinanggap.

"Look! I'm sorry for what happened if you didn't provoke me-"

"So you're saying it's my fault? Ang kapal naman talaga ng pagmumukha mo."

He sighed.

"Let's go, I'll take you home" kalmado nitong sabi.

She didn't say a word, she would rather walk alone than be with him.

"Nayeli please, it's late. I won't let you walk alone because you might get hurt" he said as if he could read her mind.

"Can you just leave me alone."

"I can't. I don't want you to get hurt. Sorry for being a fool earlier pero sana naman pumayag ka na ihatid kita."

She glared at him. Pumayag din siya kalaunan. Pagdating niya sa apartment sinalubong siya ni Barbie, nagulat ito sa itsura niya.

"What happened? Bakit amoy imburnal ka?"

"Long story. But right now, gusto ko maligo."

"Okay."

Dumiretso siya sa banyo. She screamed.

"Hey, are you okay?" bakas sa boses ni Barbie ang pag-alala.

"Sorry, I just forgot to turn on the heater."

"Okay, you scared me."

Makailang ulit siyang nagtoothbrush na para bang sa pamamagitan niyon ay mawala ang traces ng kiss ni Zayd.

How can this happen? What will Banjo say to her when he finds out that she kissed another man. She straightened himself up. Deep inside she wanted to curse Zayd.

That night she did not come work, the same with the following day.

"Ayeng, hindi ka ba talaga papasok?" tanong ni Barbie.

"Hindi na muna, masakit kasi ang katawan ko" she excused.

"Okay."

But she ran out of excuses on the following days.

"Wala ka naman lagnat tapos ayaw mong pumasok. What's really going on with you? Kahit si Sir Zayd hinahanap ka" Piper said.

"Ang kapal..."

"Huh?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me the truth, did something happen between you and Sir Zayd?"

"Wala!"

"See, you sound so different. Nagtatanong lang eh."

She became silent.

"Pumunta ka na mamaya. You don't want to lose your job, do you?"

"Pinagbantaan ba ako ni Zayd na tatanggalin sa trabaho kapag hindi pa ako pumasok?"

"Well...pero alam mo naman siguro ang policy ng bar na hanggang tatlong beses lang pwedeng umabsent. That is stated in our contract. Kung ano man ang problema ninyo ni Sir Zayd, put it aside" Piper said. She has a point.

=================================

Zayd

His face suddenly lit up when he saw Nayeli that night. She has been absent for two days and he knows very well that he is the reason.

"Mabuti naman at pumasok ka na. I was about to give you a warning." But the woman just passed him as if she didn't see him.

"Nayeli, did you just pass at me?"

"Nandyan pala kayo sir, pasensya na hindi kita napansin."

Sir? Okay, she just called him sir again.

"Didn't we already talk about you calling me Zayd?"

"Yes but I want to be professional because we are at work. I still consider you as my temporary boss even after what you did. Kaya please lang sir stay away from me for two meters."

"Two meters away? Isn't that too cruel?"

"You're even crueler."

"Aray. Look Nayeli, I'm really sorry. I'm sorry."

"Maybe it's better if we stay like this, sir."

She turned her back. From that moment, whenever he tried to approach Nayeli, she always put a distance between them.

"You look frustrated" Jackson said when he called to ask how the bar was doing.

"Well, you see Nayeli–-"

"Nayeli again? Did you give her another trouble?"

"Hey! It's not me."

"Oh come on, I know you bro. You have the skills to annoy people a lot."

"I'm your friend Jackson."

"Exactly, that's why I really know you. So? What did you do this time?"

"The thing is...I kissed her."

"You did what? You bastard! She already had a boyfriend."

"I know. That's why she's really upset and doesn't want me near."

"That's your karma."

"Hey!" Jackson laughed.

"Can you help me Jackson?"

"It's your problem, man. You started it so you fix it."

"Thank you a lot huh" there is sarcasm in his voice.

"Hahaha I need to hang up now, I'll just call you again. Take good care of the bar and my employees."

Napailing na siya rito, just in time Nayeli pass by but she didn't even notice him. He started to get pissed off but he really doesn't have the right.