Kabanata 8 (Jealousy)

Nayeli

Nang gabing 'yon isinara muna nila ang bar para magcelebrate sa labas.

"What do you want Nayeli? Salad or nachos?" Zayd offered.

"Just nachos" she answered.

Piper and Barbie looked at her.

"Oh! I hope someone will offer me food too. Sir Zayd bakit naman kay Ayeng ka lang nag-o-offer?" komento ni Piper.

"I'm sorry sweetie but only Nayeli captured my heart" he winked kaya hinampas niya ito sa braso.

"Ay kinikilig ako" ani Piper.

"You're being silly Zayd, they might think it's true" saway niya sa lalake.

"I don't care though."

Everyone was silent. Nagsalita si Takoyama.

"Barbie, do you want some nachos too?" he asked.

"Sure, thank you" Barbie answered.

"You know Takoyaki este Takoyama bagay kayo" komento niya.

"What do you mean?"

"Hindi ba single ka Barbie? Bakit hindi na lang kayo maging nitong si Takoyama" Piper seconded.

"Oo nga, Takoyama. Hindi ba crush mo naman si Barbie?"

"Ayeng!"

"My bad, it should be a secret."

"Hoy don't ship us" Barbie said shyly.

"You can't blame him, Barbie. I mean if I'm a guy maybe I'll date you too" Piper said.

Fortunately, the topic turned to Barbie and Takoyama. Zayd offered him a beer but she refused it.

"I do not drink."

"What? You work in a bar and you don't drink?"

"Wala naman sa requirements na require na umiinom din ang employee rito."

"Go ahead and drink, ngayon lang naman."

"No thanks, I'd rather go home sober."

"Sir Zayd, hindi mo talaga mapipilit 'yan. She doesn't really drink. Madalas nga namin 'yan yayain uminom sa apartment tinutulugan lang kami" Piper said.

"Really? You're such a killjoy."

"Ayos na ako sa juice."

"That's for babies. Beer is for adults."

She doesn't like the taste of beer. It's so bitter. She didn't even eat ampalaya, so her mother used to always hit her with a spoon.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It was so cold that morning that she almost crawled to the bathroom because she was too lazy to get up. Kung hindi niya lang kailangan maggrocery ngayon, she won't even budge in her bed that morning.

She screamed at the cold water that touched her skin. Ilang sandali pa kumatok na si Barbie sa pinto.

"Ayeng, are you okay? Narinig kong sumigaw ka, may problema ba?"

"Sorry, nagising ba kita? Ang lamig kasi ng tubig, I forgot to turn on the heater."

"Ganoon ba. Are you going grocery shopping?"

"Oo, do you want to buy something?"

"Deodorant and sanitary napkins. Kung hindi lang masama ang pakiramdam ko sasamahan kita."

"It's okay, just rest."

Because it's Barbie's first day of menstruation and usually she doesn't really want to move during her period, of course she can relate. Ugh! Women.

After showering, she put on a hoodie that she layered with a thick sweater. She also wrapped her neck with a shawl. She also put on gloves and a bonnet. But she felt that the cold was still eating away her clothes.

"Ang lamig naman ni Milan parang kahapon lang ang init" Barbie said.

"Ako nga hindi parin makaadjust sa klima rito sa Italy. By the way, nakita mo ba si Piper?"

"Nakita ko siyang lumabas kanina and it looks like the witch has gone on a date again."

"Akala ko pa naman sawa na siya sa mga italyano?"

"You know her. As long as there is an opportunity to go on a date, walang makakapigil sa kanya."

"I'm leaving para makabalik ako agad."

"Okay, ingat."

She took the bus. She didn't buy that much so she finished early. She was just waiting for the bus when a car stopped in front of her. It's Zayd.

"Nayeli, where are you going?" he asked.

"I just came from the grocery store, I'm on my way home. I'm just waiting for the bus."

"Come with me, I'll take you."

"Huwag na, ayos lang."

"I insist. Come on."

Sa huli ay pumayag na lang siya dahil sa kakulitan nito.

"Ang lamig" komento niya.

"Oh sorry" he turned off the aircon.

"Hindi ba ako nakakaabala sayo? Baka may pupuntahan ka pa."

"Saan naman?"

"You don't have a date?"

"Wala. The girl I like is already taken."

"I'm sure it's not a problem, you can get a lot of women here in Milan. Kahit siguro poste suotan lang ng palda yayain mo na ng date."

"Hey!"

"I'm just telling the truth."

"Hindi naman ako seryoso sa kanila pero kapag naging tayo ikaw lang ang siseryosohin ko."

"I told you. I already have Banjo."

"You really love him, don't you? I'm jealous."

"Of course. We are eight years in a relationship. Out of all the boyfriends I've had, siya lang ang tumagal."

Zayd suddenly became silent so she turned to him.

"Bakit ang tahimik mo bigla?"

"Because I'm jealous."

"Seryoso?"

"Of course. When I said I like you it's never been a joke."

Nagulat siya sa sinabi nito buti na lang nasa harap na sila ng apartment niya.