CHAPTER 7

I froze.

The last thing I wanted was to be alone with him right now. I was too scared that I would say something stupid or mean and he would never want to be around me again. I decided I would go back to the party and tell Louis I was ready to go home. I turned to sneak away when….

Shit…..

Stupid fucking twig….

He snapped around, squinting at me through the darkness.

“Who’s there?” He called after me.

I gave a weak smile, not that he would have seen it. I gave a small wave.

Shit.

“Harry? Is that you?”

I had a knot in my stomach that I could ignore.

“Harry?”

I had to say something. I felt bad enough that I always ignored him; I should say something now.

“Uh….yeah, its—its me.” I said, sounding tired.

I thought I caught a glimpse of his gleaming white smile through the thick shadows that separated us.

“What are you doing out here by yourself?” He asked me curiously.

I chuckled a bit. “I could ask you the same question.”

Niall laughed at my remark. “Touché, Styles. Why don’t you come sit with me?”

My eyes widened; that caught me off guard for sure. I swallowed hard and shuffled nervously over to the rock.

Niall knelt and held out his had, “Grab my hand, it’s a little steep, mate.”

I hesitated, but grabbed his hand after a moment. His hand was warm and soft. Mine was probably cold and sweaty. Great. Just great.

As I got to the top, Niall grabbed me by the shoulders to help steady me. He started to laugh; was I that pathetic? His eyes moved to the top of my head.

“Nice man-bun, styles,” he giggled as he flicked it playfully.

We sat down; I was feeling mortified. I tore the rubber band out and shook out my curls while he had his head turned.

Niall glanced at me, “You need a haircut, Styles.” He giggled at my expense. Again. Why was everyone always laughing at me?

I let out a sigh. I should talk to him. Don’t be a chicken, Styles. He’ll never want to be around you if you don’t say something. Just don’t say anything stupid.

“Why are you down here by yourself? I thought for sure you would be up at the party.”

He looked at me, his blue eyes twinkling in the moonlight.

“Sometimes I just like to be alone…..to think….just soak everything in.”

He turned back to look out at the lake. “Do you ever feel like that?”

I looked out at the water, the small waves reflecting small bits of light. Niall was more like me than I thought. Maybe it wasn’t so weird to want to be alone sometimes.

“Harry?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you ever feel like that?”

“All the time,” I whispered.

He gave a small smile. “It’s nice to know I’m not alone.”

It was at that moment, as he said those words, that I knew that I was done for.

I was in love with Niall Horan.