2. A plan

"How long was I away for?"

Hearing news about Yibo gave Xiao Zhan the much needed zeal to live. He needed no further persuasion as he took his leave with Yuan Yang. Reaching outside, he found not just a few of the battalion he commanded, but more than half of them came on this 'rescue mission'.

So stubborn. No matter how many times he asked them to forget him, it seemed these men were unwilling. Perhaps, they saw him as their father. Their relationship could be likened to that.

"14 months. You've been locked up for 14 months".

He hadn't seen Yibo for more than a month prior to his arrest, making it 15    Q1' whole months. He felt his heart tighten in his chest.

His army was made up of over 2000 betas and only 43 alphas. Yibo was one of those alphas but strength was comparable to an outstanding beta, Yibo was a level 3 alpha.

When Yibo first joined the army, he was assigned to Xiao Zhan's unit. He was always meek and gentle, the other soldiers were able to bully him easily. Xiao Zhan knew they meant no harm, besides, he needed to toughen up.

Back then, Xiao Zhan didn't think much of Yibo, he was just another one of his boys. He noticed his ears were always red and he could hardly look him in the eyes. He had never met an alpha so shy. Xiao Zhan didn't pay too much attention to him.

During their training sessions, he mostly caught Yibo staring at him, he was probably admiring his idol, it wasn't something new. Xiao Zhan's impression of Yibo started to change one night when he visited their dorm room unexpectedly, Yibo had single handedly overpowered an alpha and 1 beta. It turned out Yibo wasn't as weak as he had thought. He heard Yibo give them a sound warning, anyone who tried to bully him in the future was going to receive a beating.

At that moment, Xiao Zhan felt proud, the weakling of the group had manned up. He walked into the dorm and gave Yibo a pat on the back. Yibo got so tense, he was visibly shaking. Xiao Zhan asked him to train with him henceforth, after all, there weren't many other alphas in the team.

Thinking about that day, Xiao Zhan couldn't help a smile from forming across his lips. It turned out Yibo had liked him all the while, it took him a long time to figure out that the boy liked him and he had also fallen in love with the boy.

"How did you know Yibo was in Zerg?"

Another beta spoke, he had overheard a phone call between the chief commander and someone in zerg. He asked about Yibo and asked to make sure word never got out of his whereabouts.

Zerg was a minor planet owned by Tarra (their home planet). This minor planet was rumored to hold prisoners who had committed unimaginable offenses and were to be kept away for life. No one returned from there, not even the guards. At a time, it was believed that zerg was a fictional place as no one had seen it or seen anyone who had seen or heard about the place.

In the army rank, the Army Chief was the highest rank, the second rank was the chief commander. Xiao Zhan was a commander, his rank was third and he took orders directly from the chief commander. His rank was so high up but he didn't have the clearance to know about Zerg. That was how much of a secret it was.

Knowing Yibo was there was one thing but how was he to get there himself? How was he to locate the place?

"Commander, I know you're worried about getting to Zerg but we have plan. It's not an easy one but with the absence of any other option, I think this is all we have".

Yu Bin, a level 6 alpha was in charge of strategies and planning. He passed Xiao Zhan a tablet and watched as Xiao Zhan's eyes widened in horror.

"No way, we cannot do this. Do you know what you're saying?"

Yu Bin put his head down, "I know you taught us to defend our land but what if that land wants us dead? Our loyalty had already been questioned. Several times, an attack has been launched on our camp and it took a lot to avert the doom. We've lost over 400 brothers trying to defend ourselves. They know we would be loyal to you till the end and they are afraid of our numbers so they have decided to eliminate us".

Xiao Zhan had been gone for so long, a lot had happened. In a normal situation, his group will be assigned a new leader especially now that they were short of men. Apart from Xiao Zhan, there was only one other level 8 alpha and he headed another group of soldiers. While Xiao Zhan had about 2500 men in his unit, the other group had only 800 but they were all alphas, the lowest rank being a level 5. They accepted nothing less.

Why try to eliminate his men? Was the planet planning to depend on those 800 men only? Was that how much he was hated? Xiao Zhan used to be the shining star of their planet but he had been reduced to this, a common criminal, even his men were not spared.

His family was gone, Yibo was gone, these men were all he had. If they were going to be maltreated, they could as well defend themselves. Yu Bin's plan didn't seem so bad afterall.

"Commander, if we can hold the president hostage, we can secure Yibo's release and leave this planet for good. Our aircrafts have been properly taken care of and we have been scouting. There is a small habitable planet far away, we can settle there".

Xiao Zhan nodded, the plan was simple, kidnap the president and force him to hand over a prisoner then leave for good. Thinking of Yibo's possible release, Xiao Zhan nodded in agreement.