5. I won't bond with an omega

Yibo's glands were still small, they were under developed. Everyone was born with a gland but they didn't differentiate into an alpha, beta or omega until they were 16. Once they did, their glands expanded and took a form corresponding to their sex.

Yibo's glands looked small, Xiao Zhan couldn't tell if they belonged to an alpha or an omega. Subconsciously, he reached out his hand to touch it, as expected, it felt soft, just like a child's who was yet to differentiate. Could it be that Yibo was a late bloomer or was he just different?

Yibo was a low level alpha, could this be the reason, did he have issues with his development? Without realizing it, he started to caress his glands softly. It should be noted that the glands of a person, when caressed in that manner could turn on their sexual appetite. Depending on how sensitive they were, it could also induce estrus or heat in an omega or alpha respectively.

Yibo, who was fast asleep enjoying his newly found warmth felt his body being pleasured in a strange way. Subconsciously, he let out a soft moan. Only then did Xiao Zhan realize what he was doing and pulled his hand away.

Sensing an abrupt end to his pleasure, Yibo pulled Xiao Zhan's hand back and placed it on his glands.

"..."

Sensing no movement, he opened his eyes and the sight before him made him want to run away. He was holding the commander in a tight embrace, his leg over his body and he had moved his hand over to his glands. What was worse, he had drooled a little on his chest. He wanted to die.

Xiao Zhan noticed his embarrassed mood, his cheeks and ears were originally red due to the cold but nothing prepared Xiao Zhan for when they got even redder. He tried to restrain himself but he couldn't hold back a scoff.

Yibo had let go of him but the arm Yibo lay on was numb so he remained lying for some time.

After apologizing hundreds of times and Xiao Zhan telling him it was okay hundreds of times, the situation between the two finally got better. It was already morning but it was no longer as cold as it was at night. Due to habit, Xiao Zhan wanted to go out and train for a bit but when he remembered they had very little water and they were not sure when help would come, he decided to sit still.

He looked at Yibo who had curled up in one corner and remembered everything that had happened between them. Contrary to what he expected, he didn't feel repulsed, he even liked it a little. The warmth and the smell of his pheromones had a calming effect, he had to admit, he wanted more of it. Hopefully, Yibo would cling to him again when he fell asleep.

"Your glands...", Xiao Zhan started a conversation with Yibo who was trying to swallow down the contents of a nutrition pack. Yibo nearly choked when his glands were mentioned. Talking about one's glands were like talking about one's private part.

"Your glands are quite small, still underdeveloped. They don't look like they belong to an alpha".

Apart from his parents and doctor, Yibo had never spoken about this to another person but he felt comfortable with Xiao Zhan.

"I have pheromone deficiency syndrome. Even though I am now 20, I haven't formally differentiated into an alpha. I've done a lot of tests and undergone treatment but there were no changes. Due to my physical appearance and my abilities, I was placed under the category of a low level alpha".

There were quite a few people with this deficiency and the process of determining their sex was quite tedious but it was accurate. Some of them differentiated in the future and it was always to the sex assigned to them, after all, the people who assigned these sexes are specially trained to recognize a person's gender using a combination of factors.

Some of them never differentiated in their life like Darren's elder sister. She was assigned an omega but she never differentiated. Still she got married and had kids easily like an ordinary omega.

Remembering his best friend, Xiao Zhan's eyes watered a little. Darren was killed in the attack on their planet, leaving behind his betrothed female omega, Li Qin. Omegas hardly lived if their alphas passed except they were marked by a stronger alpha. Li Qin refused to be marked and also passed away due to some complications in pregnancy months later. The baby also didn't survive and just like that, memories of his existence was all Xiao Zhan had left.

Seeing him at the point of tears, Wang Yibo thought his words had made Xiao Zhan sad.

"It's actually not that bad. It has its advantages. For one, I'm immune to omega pheromones so even if an omega goes into estrus in my presence, I will not be moved".

Yibo felt proud of himself but Xiao Zhan quickly found the disadvantage.

"Doesn't that also mean you might not be able to fully bond with an omega? We are short of alphas and soon, you would be assigned a few omegas if you don't pick of your own accord. Also, have you ever checked your fertility rate?"

Yibo had never concerned himself with all of these. The one he liked was an alpha like himself, he had never felt attracted to anyone else, not even an omega. In response to Xiao Zhan's question, he shook his head.

Seeing him look dejected, Xiao Zhan sighed and quickly thought of a way to make him feel better.

"Anyway, you're still young and you won't be required to procreate for a few years. Since you're in the army, you can take more time off. Maybe by then, you would have differentiated so there's no need to worry".

After a long silence, Yibo finally spoke.

"I have someone I like, this person is not an omega so I'm not bothered. I won't ever bond with an omega".

"..."