The Ranger's Game

Third Person POV

Blaze nickered, just as Gilan heard the faint trotting sounds. "I know girl, I hear them." He patted her and waved to the pair coming, a grin plastered on his face. "Will! Maddie!" he yelled to the rider. He stopped, confused. "Who's that?" There was another ranger behind Will, but Gilan couldn't see his/her face as it was covered by his/her ranger cowl. The ranger was much taller than Will, but that wasn't saying much.

Will mirrored Gilan's smile as he trotted closer. "Hey, Gilan." They came closer and hugged, and Maddie petted Blaze, giving her an apple, who nickered again.

I like this girl. She gives me apples.

Gilan rolled his eyes but didn't answer. He didn't want his friends to realize he was talking to his horse. The whole time that happened, the ranger who sat behind Will stayed on Tug, unmoving. "Who's that?" Gilan mouthed, afraid that if he spoke, the ranger would hear him. Will laughed loudly.

"That," he gestured to the ranger. "Is our secret weapon to beating Halt." He went closer and lifted the ranger's cloak, to reveal a dummy. "Alyss used it on our adventure in Mackindaw, and I asked whether I could borrow it. She said yes."

"Actually," Maddie interrupted, "She asked why. Will said it would be to trick Halt, and she offered to help make it your size." Gilan laughed.

"So, everyone's out to get Halt, huh?"

"You have no idea. Maddie told Horace, and he got some blacksmiths to make a Saxe knife, throwing-knife, sword, bow and arrow that looked like yours. Crowley gave us another spare cloak because we couldn't ask you for your spare as we needed to have it on before we start and you needed your spare cloak at all times. He's also doing something special later on. Even Pauline helped with the shaping of the dummy."

"Oh, so that's why a servant came and started measuring my size."

"Yes. Everyone pitched in. The question is," Will looked meaningfully at Gilan, "What have you done to help us?"

"Trust me, I have done something extremely important that will make us more successful. Besides, if you're making a dummy of me, I must have a key role in this."

"Fair enough."

"I think we'll get him this year." Gilan was internally jumping with joy.

Will rolled his eyes. "You say that every year, Gilan."

"Yeah, but this year we went out of our way to make it work." the trio high-fived and went to plan.

---

3 hours later

Third Person POV - but we can see Halt's conversation with Abelard

Halt was trotting down the path on Abelard when Abelard growled softly. "Good boy," Halt muttered. He continued down the path talking to Abelard.

This is earlier than they usually ambush us.

Yes, but they need to try something new every time, right? And they haven't beaten you yet.

What do you mean, yet? They will never beat me.

Fine. If they beat you this time, you have to give me 2 apples a day for a whole month. If they don't, you don't have to give me apples for a month.

3 apples a week.

5 apples a week.

Deal.

What he didn't know, was that the last time Gilan had visited Halt, Gilan had bribed Abelard with 3 apples, and said that if he made sure not to whinny when anyone was sneaking up on Halt by foot, he'll give him 2 apples every day that he sees Abelard until the next gathering.