Threatening Royalty Part 1

This is the time when Will is still an apprentice. It happens after the Burning Bridge, except Will and Cassandra makes it back.

Will, Horace, Alyss, Jenny, and Cassandra were all in Halt's cabin when the note came. Their craftmasters were all doing something important in Celtica, so Halt tasked Will with the job of helping anyone who needed help while he was away.

A messenger had come to the cabin while Jenny was serving lunch. He had claimed it was very urgent and was a job for Ranger Halt of Redmont. When Will had told the messenger that Halt was in Celtica at the moment, the messenger said that it couldn't wait, and asked for the five children to go back to Araluen Fief immediately. 

The messenger said that he was riding through the forest for a hunting trip when a pigeon fell, and he found the letter. He didn't want to read it but was very curious, and when he saw the title that said 'Eliminating Duncan', he decided he must open it. Since Redmont was on the way to Araluen from where he was from, he decided to get Ranger Halt of Redmont.

Will had immediately read the letter, and his face grew worried. The others looked over his shoulder, and Cassandra gasped.

Dear Alie Pun,

It has come to my notice that King Duncan is a very powerful leader, unlike King Phillipe of Gallica, therefore it will be hard to take over Araluen. He is a large obstacle to taking over the world, so I suggest we get rid of him first.

Let's do it on Monday 4th September. Meet you at the second hour (afternoon) in the castle.

Regards,

Arlen Garth

Cassandra started hurrying to pack her things, running around frantically scooping everything she could into her tiny bag. Will held out his hands in a timeout signal. "Woah, Woah, Cassandra. Calm down. Everything's going to be alright."

Cassandra glared at him. "Easy for you to say. Do you know when Monday the 4th of September is? Oh yeah, that's right. It's tomorrow. Besides, your dad's not being targeted for murder. How would you feel if he was?" The small group winced as soon as she said it, including herself.

"I don't have a dad," Will stated blandly, trying to cover up his sadness with his blank expression. He hurried out of the room to stop his friends from seeing the tears threatening to leak out of his eyes.

---

The group rode mostly in silence, Horace, Jenny, and Alyss making small conversation. Cassandra was too worried to say anything, and Will was still sour at Cassandra's comment. Even though Will knew that she said it because she was worried and wasn't thinking properly, it still hurt.

When they finally got there, it was night. They decided not to tell anyone they were there, otherwise, it would be too suspicious why they would leave Redmont. They snuck into Cassandra's room, the girls sharing the large bed, Horace on the couch and Will on the soft mattress.

Will snuck out the door, and when he arrived back, the small group had prepared their sleeping space. Horace glared at Will. "Where have you been? We've been doing all the work, and you decide to take a stroll in the castle?"

Will met Horace's gaze evenly. "No, I was getting ingredients and equipment so Jenny could cook us some dinner."

Horace's eyes widened and his stomach rumbled. "Oh. That's alright then." Will handed the equipment to Jenny, and she immediately whipped up something that smelled delicious.

"Jenny! Don't make it too good or the guards will smell it!" Will joked. 

Jenny simply laughed and said, "Well, if that's what you want, I can always get rid of it..."