What if the Rangers (and some other characters) had phones?

"Halt! Will! Gilan! Maddie!" Crowley ran over. "Look what I found!"

Crowley set down a box of...Will wasn't so sure. Metal boxes? But they were too flat and too small to hold anything.

"What are they?" He asked, always the curious one. 

Crowley shrugged. "It says on the box 'Fonnese'. Spelt P-H-O-N-E-S. Don't know what that means." He showed them the box. Rangers weren't very good at spelling because they never had words like this before, and any writing or spelling went to the scribes.

Halt frowned. "It obviously pronounced 'Fones'."

"No, it's pronounced 'Pee-honness'." Will chimed in.

"Gorlog's beard, can't you guys read? It's 'Fonness'." Gilan said.

The argument went on for a while before Maddie interrupted. "Who cares what it's called! Just call them 'Fones' for now since it's easier." Maddie rolled her eyes as Halt gave everyone a smug look. "Look, let's figure out how this...thing works."

"Wait! It could be dangerous. Let me check it out first." Maddie handed the 'Phone' over to Halt, and after all four rangers had deemed it safe, they set to figuring out what it was. Maddie pressed the small rectangular thing that was slightly sticking out of the 'phone', and the screen blared to life. 

The rangers stumbled back, dropping the phone on the grass, all pulling out their weapons. Halt and Crowley were holding their bows and had an arrow on them already, Gilan was holding his sword, Will was holding his Saxe and throwing knife, and Maddie was holding her sling, a lead already on it. They all stood like that for a while before realizing nothing was happening. Just then, they heard footsteps.

They all whipped their heads toward it, still holding their weapons out, when Pauline, Horace, and Cassandra came out. The three non-rangers stood stock-still, surprised at the weapons pointed at them. The rangers quickly put them away.

"Sorry," Will apologised, sounding not at all sorry. 

Pauline smiled and asked, "Why have you all got your weapons out?"

Halt simply pointed to the 'phone'. She nodded in understanding and looked at the box. "Ah. Phones." She pronounced it 'fones' and Halt looked smug once again. The rangers just rolled their eyes. "There's a note in here. Let's read it." She held it out so everyone could see.

Dear Rangers, Pauline, Horace & Cassandra,

I hope this gets to you. You will find this very useful as you can communicate with it. It's not dangerous. Have fun!

- JF and the RA Fandom

P.S. Search up in Google Chrome (That's the colourful circle with a blue dot in the middle) 'What Ranger's Apprentice character are you?' Choose the first two links so you can see which one you are.

"Well, you couldn't get vaguer than this." Horace frowned. Pauline simply smiled, and in two seconds, the screen lit up with a bunch of small squares.

"Two dot zero zero," she said. She tilted her head to the side in thought. "I guess it's around the second hour right now."

"No way! That thing tells the time? What else can it do?" Will attempted to snatch the phone out of Pauline's hand, but then she stared at him disapprovingly. "Sorry, sorry."

"There's more in the box. You can probably have one each if there's enough for all of us." Everyone quickly attacked the box, and Pauline kept in her grin that was threatening to show the way only couriers could.

"Well, this JF and the RA Fandom person said to search up in this Google Chrome thing 'What Ranger's Apprentice character are you' for some reason. Wonder who RA Fandom and JF are. Besides, the only Ranger Apprentice here is me, used to be Will, Halt, and Crowley." Maddie stated.