Do You Believe In Ghosts

Halloween was always your favorite holiday; the crisp fall weather, pumpkin spice lattes, and of course going to haunted houses. You knew all the monsters and ghosts were performers, but now....

You're not in the 21st century. You're not in a haunted house on Halloween. And the ghostly figure in front of you is not a performer; she's real and according to legend, she's your ancestor. You weren't even sure you believed in ghosts, but you have no logical explanation for Magdalena's apparition. She fixes her ice blue eyes on you as she answers your question.

"Yes I am."

You let out a shaky sigh.

"So now ghosts exist? I must be going crazy."

Magdalena lets out an amused chuckle, but you detect a small hint of sarcasm as well.

"You believe in time travel, curses, and Atlantis, but ghosts is what puts you over the edge?"

Okay she has a point.

"Yeah, yeah I get it."

You mumble glumly, still mulling over thoughts in your head. Magdalena's gaze goes over to Robert then back to you.

"I was looking forward to meeting my two descendants who are going to break this curse, but not when you are behaving like petulant, little six year old's."

You and Robert start talking at the same time.

"He stabbed us in the back on multiple occasions. I can't believe I even share a bloodline with someone like him!"

"You can't just waltz in like you own this time period, girl. You got in my way and ruined all my plans."

"Plans for what? Power? Is that all you care about?"

Magdalena's voice cuts through again.

"That's enough! No wonder Monetary couldn't tell you the truth about Robert."

You immediately whip your head towards Monterey.

"What the hell is she talking about?"

Monterey who was gasping in awe at Magdalena's presence, now gives you a sheepish expression.

"Umm, well you uh, you see, uh..."

He stammers off before he shakes away his nerves and starts forming coherent sentences.

"About five weeks ago, we found Robert floating on a piece of debris in the waters that Magdalena's temple was supposed to be in. I could sense his energy and knew he was one of the descendants. Once we brought him back to Atlantis, he told us about you. We spent the next month searching every ounce of the seas we could think of, trying to find you."

You look at Robert, clearly stunned that he knew this piece of information before you did.

"You knew we were related?"

He appears as bored as you did when you were in your high school geometry class.

"It's pretty obvious, girl."

You hate to admit it, but the signs were clearly there. You mentally kick yourself for not realizing this sooner, but you were kind of preoccupied with other matters, like becoming a mother. You bring your focus back to the conversation.

"So why didn't you tell me Robert was already here?"

Monterey looks embarrassed as he admits,

"Robert didn't tell us you had such a tumultuous relationship; we thought reuniting the two descendants would be a happy surprise for everyone, a family reunion so to speak. Once we met you and you told us everything he had done to you and your crew, we were scared that you'd change your mind about helping us. So we kept it a secret."