Breaking The Curse

Edward carefully helps you up and away from Robert's lifeless body; his hand tightening around your fingers that curl over the ruby. You blink back the rest of your tears as he carefully cups your cheek.

"Coral, I'm so glad you're not hurt. I was so scared that I was going to lose you."

You take a deep breath. Your voice comes out in short stuttering bursts.

"I'm uh okay, I guess, I'm just shaken... I still can't believe that happened...I literally just lost the last family I have in the 21st century. I..I just don't know how to comprehend that..."

Edward gently puts a finger to your lips to get you to stop talking.

"Shh, darling don't think about it like that. Robert just gave you a gift. Obviously your cousin cared about you. Don't waste it."

Before you can respond, the sundial next to the fountain begins to shake. Through the opening in the crystal covered dome directly above it, you see the full moon has reached its peak- the shadow on the sundial stopping at the little sun and moon engraving. The moonlight is so bright it's almost appears to be daytime. You didn't even need the Tritons warning to know...

"It's midnight!"

You look at the ruby in your palm. You can sort through all the emotions later. Time is of the essence.

It's now or never. This has to work.

Edward takes your arm to help you climb the fountain carefully in order to reach the top tier. With a steady hand you place the ruby in the empty slot. The gemstone slides in and begins to shimmer. All of a sudden, not just the room, but all of Atlantis is covered in a blinding gold and silver light. You shield your eyes from the radiance emitting from all around. Edward lifts you gently into his arms as you descend down the fountain.

"Edward, what's happening?"

"I don't know."

He grips you tighter and you can sense his fear; the same as yours. You know if this works, you'll live happily ever after. If it doesn't, well you don't even want to think about the alternative.

Suddenly you hear Monterey's voice through the chaos.

"Coral! You did it!"

I did?