Edward's Ever After

Edward's Point of View

Five and a half months later...

You're in your cabin on the Damnation, stretched out comfortably next to Coral. Her strawberry blond hair is disheveled, coming out of her braid and getting caught in the sticky mess of the sweat coating her forehead. Her whole body is flushed; she leans against you completely exhausted. Despite all of that, she's never looked more beautiful. You reach across to the table beside you and grab a cloth soaked in water and gently wipe her face. She looks up at you with a big smile, and then turns that smile down towards the bundle she's cradling in her arms.

You feel your eyes start to glisten with unshed tears. Your son is everything you could've wanted; he's healthy and happy. Coral is sore and tired, but she did incredible. Your hand is going to be bruised for a while since she squeezed it so tightly, but you don't care. You actually felt terrible that she was going through so much pain and that you were the cause of it. She kept crying about wanting something from her time period called an epidural; and even though you had no idea what she was talking about, if you could've gotten it for her, you would've. Coral is without a doubt, the strongest woman you've ever known.

The important thing is that it's over and now you're a family. You reach down and kiss the top of her head.

"I'm so proud of you, Coral. Thank you for giving me a perfect son. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Edward."

She snuggles closer to you and hands you the baby, as her eyes flutter shut. You rub soothing circles on her back.

"Sleep my love; I got him for now."

A couple hours later there is a soft knock on your cabin door. You look at Coral who shifts her shirt back over from feeding your son.

"We're good. You can open it."

Charlie and Oliver are waiting on the other side. They've been handling the crew since Coral went into labor and you plan on leaving them in charge for a few more days so you can focus on her and the baby. After everyone is settled and clean, Coral carefully allows Charlie to hold him.

"He's got your eyes, love. They're so bright. But this pout and russet hair is all you, Edward."

"Hey, I don't pout, I ponder. Right, Coral?"

She just shakes her head, laughing.

"I'm not answering that because I won't choose between my husband and my best friend."

You feel a warm glow in your heart at the word husband. You think back to your wedding day at Tiburon. It was a small, simple wedding, but that's what Coral wanted. Grace made Coral a beautiful dress, and she looked absolutely stunning in it.

Your eyes immediately go to her left hand, where a gold band now accompanies the sapphire engagement ring.

She's my wife. She's mine. Now and forever.

Oliver puts his arm around Charlie as she rocks the baby.

"Congratulations you two. Does he have a name yet?"

You and Coral spent the past month debating on baby names, but one stood out to you and you both agreed to go with it.

"Yes. His name is Thomas."

Charlie passes Thomas back to Coral, who holds him close to her chest. She kisses his forehead before explaining the significance of his name.

"Without my ancestor Thomas, Magdalena never would have had Marceline and Marella; and therefore I wouldn't have existed. It's only fitting we carry on his legacy."

Charlie nods thoughtfully.

"He would've loved that. And for what it's worth, Magdalena would've loved it too."

Coral shoots a glance at you, then nods her head in Oliver's direction. Picking up on her meaning, you clasp a hand on his shoulder.

"We also wanted you to know that Thomas has two middle names as well. The first one is Oliver, and we hope you're alright with that."

As Oliver absorbs the news, you swear a tear drops down his cheek. Charlie reaches up and cups his face as she whispers,

"A well earned middle name, Navy Boy."

Once Oliver regains his composure, he shakes your hand firmly.

"I am honored. Thank you so much."

Coral then passes Thomas over to him. Oliver looks down with a wide grin and gives Charlie a playful look.

"So, Charlotte...can we have one of these too?"

Charlie rolls her eyes and jokingly slaps his arm, but ends up saying,

"Give us a year together first."

You all laugh as Thomas is held and loved by the most important people in his life. Once Coral announces that she's ready for bed and wants Thomas to rest too, Charlie and Oliver start to head out; promising to come back in the morning with crew updates.

As the door is almost closed, Charlie turns back around to ask,

"Oh love, what's his second middle name?"

........

Wow