Family Sacrifice

(Disclaimer: This chapter contains gun and sword violence that may be upsetting to some readers)

"After everything you've done tonight, why the hell should we listen to you?!"

You don't even care that you're yelling; Robert's bullshit has pushed you to the end of your pregnant rope and enough is enough.

Edward, Charlie, and Oliver don't even try to calm you down; probably because they know that it would be pointless. Robert seems unfazed by your outburst; almost like he expected it. He shrugs his shoulders like he doesn't have a thing to worry about.

"Fine, don't listen to me. See if I care. But you should know that in a couple minutes, Octavia and Samuel will be leading a small group of pirates and navy soldiers up here."

Edward bristles and puts his arm around you.

"So you're just going to allow your crew to hurt an expectant mother?"

Robert holds up his hands peacefully, and shrugs.

"I never said she'd get hurt."

You eye the Tritons warily. Your gaze falls on Monterey who does his best to avoid the daggers you're shooting at him.

"Monterey, you promised me that you wouldn't hide anything else from us. I trusted you."

You feel your voice start to break with your next words and a couple tears run down your cheeks.

"I trusted all of you. I wanted to help you."

Monterey's pain is visible but he remains silent. Varuna steps forward.

"Coral, please; you can trust us. I know it seems like we betrayed you, but believe me, this battle will have a happy outcome. Just listen to Robert."

You shake your head sadly.

"I don't know how to at this point."

You hear banging on the door and the locked mermaid jeweled knob begins to rattle. Robert walks towards the sundial and takes a peek, glancing up at the full moon through the crystal covered dome for a brief moment as well.

"You've got six minutes to figure out how, girl."

His voice is back to his usual gruff tone as he continues to bark out orders.

"Charlotte and Navy boy, split up! One of you take the left side of the fountain, the other takes the right side. The Tritons will hold off Octavia and Samuel as long as possible. Don't let them near Coral until she slots the ruby back into place. Once the power is restored, it should take care of everything else."

The plan seems straightforward and easy; almost too easy. You give Robert a scrutinizing look.

"And how are we proving that blood is thicker than water, Robert? I mean, is this something we can even do?"

You're cut off when the door is kicked open and Samuel and Octavia barge into the room with a small band of pirates and navy officers following close behind.

"Only one way to find out, girl."

He gives you a conspiratorially wink, and glides across the room to stand behind a water dragon shaped pillar. Octavia's voice booms across the chamber.  

"I'm tired of you always interfering with everything, Coral! This ends now!

Her menacing words do nothing to affect you. After all, you beat her once and you know you'll beat her again.

"I don't know why you hate me Octavia and I don't even care. But I completely agree with ending your bullshit right now!"

She lets out a howl of anger and the pirates and navy officers flank out, starting another battle. Monterey, Varuna, and Havelock light up their trident spears and dive into the fight. The spears aren't shining as brightly as they used to and you know they are using up the last of their magic. It really is now or never for them, but they show no signs of backing down. Despite their planning behind your back, deep down inside, you know they truly are looking out for you. No matter what, they're your people too and you're in this together.