It Wouldn't Be That Easy

"What do you mean there's another piece of the prophecy?!"

You're starting to feel irritated. You've done everything Magdalena has asked; hell you even called a truce with Robert. Was all that for nothing? He echoes your frustration.

"I've had enough of being treated like a chess pawn. I just want all this to be over with so we can move on with our lives!"

Magdalena lets out a sigh.

"Don't you think I want that too? I've been waiting for over a hundred years to be reunited with my family!"

She takes a moment to compose herself before she continues.

Look, I don't make the rules; I'm stuck with this curse as much as you are. Granted it is my fault, but there is nothing I can do about that now. All I can do is tell you what I know."

You immediately calm down when you see the hurt in her eyes.

"I'm sorry. It's just, well you know, I've got a lot at stake here."

"I understand, Coral."

You look at Robert. His anger seems to have subsided and he gives you a nod.

"Okay, we're ready to hear it."

Her ghostly form glides smoothly across the rocks, like an ice skater around a rink, her long crimson hair sashaying the whole way. She stops at a marbled stone behind the sundial and lifts up a webbed hand to beckon you closer, with a crooked tilt of her index finger. You see that she has halted by the stone where the curse prophecy is encrypted into it. You can still read the faint lettering underneath the soft glow of the light from the kraken lanterns. Robert quickly skims over it.

"It's the same prophecy you all have been obsessed with; what's your point?"

Leave it to Robert to be so polite...not!

"My point is you both obviously did not read that last part close enough."

Her tone takes you by surprise, and she has a serious look on her face. Whatever it is you're about to find out, can't be good. You begin to feel nauseous, and not from your pregnancy. You take a step forward to read the prophecy again. You reread it a couple more times until it suddenly dawns on you.

And the Fountain of Youth will glow gold in color

A future descendant can stay forever

A descendant...A descendant. Oh fuck!

"It doesn't say that both of us can stay, Robert."

For the first time, when you look in his eyes you see a twinge of fear. He knows it too. If only one of you can stay, you're going to fight with everything you have to make sure it's you.