Chapter 3

Jay had a rough night. He kept waking up from nightmares about when his adopted parents died. He still remembers that day so vividly even though he was 5 when it happened. He remembers it just being a normal day. He was in the junkyard that they lived in and his father was teaching him about inventing. They sat at the table in the trailer later in the day having a normal family dinner. After dinner, Jay went back out into the junkyard to work on a new invention he had started even though it was night time already. He noticed some strange looking men making their way into the junkyard. Jay was in the back, so he just hid behind a pile of scrap metal. The men banged on the door of the trailer. He saw his parents open the door and the men pushed their way into the trailer. He wasn't exactly sure what happened inside, but a few minutes later, he saw the men come back out, but they left the door open. Then, one of them lights a match and tosses it into the trailer. The next thing he knew was that the trailer had burst into flames and his parents never came out. All the papers labeled what happened as an accident, but they didn't realize that there was actually someone who had watched the whole thing and picked up a pin that was dropped by one of them. It was a pin that only someone who worked for the emperor and empress would wear.

Jay got out of his bed and walked out to the living room where Lloyd and Cole already were.

"Morning," Cole said happily when he saw Jay walk into the room.

"Morning," Jay said back.

"We went out early to get some breakfast," Lloyd said and pointed at the plate sitting on the table for Jay. There was some bread and fruit. "Eat up."

Jay sat down and started eating. "What about you guys?" he asked.

"We ate while you were still sleeping," Cole replied.

Jay nodded and continued eating. "What do you guys think about trying to steal something a bit different?"

"What do you mean?" Cole asked intrigued.

"The emperor and empress keep records of everyone they've had killed like it's some sort of achievement to kill that person," Jay explained. "What if we stole the records?"

"You're talking about stealing from the emperor and empress!" Lloyd exclaimed shocked.

"Not just that! You're talking about stealing something that is locked down because the emperor and empress want to keep it top secret!" Cole added.

"It's not right that they can kill people and easily cover it up!" Jay exclaimed. "They need to be exposed for everything they've done! For all the people they've taken away from others! If you guys won't help me, I'll do it myself!"

"Woah! Who said anything about not helping you?" Cole asked.

"We just wanted to make sure we were hearing you correctly," Lloyd said. "So, what's the plan?"

"There's a party tonight at the palace," Jay said. "It will be the perfect distraction for us to be able to steal it, but we're going to need to be able to blend in at the party."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Cole asked. "We don't have anything nice enough to look like we belong there."

"I think I know someone who might be able to help us," Lloyd said.

The three of them walked into Ninjago City. Lloyd led them to a tea shop that was hidden away. They walked into the shop and Lloyd led them up to the counter where an elderly woman was helping a customer. She was wearing a hat that made it hard to actually see her face. When she was done, she walked over to the three of them. "How can I help you?" she asked.

"We're looking for Mystake," Lloyd said.

"Who's asking?"

"You were friends with my mother, Misako."

"Lloyd! I haven't seen you since you were a kid. Look how you've grown."

"It's been a long time."

"Who are your friends?"

"This is Jay and Cole."

"I suppose that you're not here to just say hi."

"We need help."

"What do you need?"

"We want to sneak into the party at the palace tonight, but we don't really have anything nice enough to blend in."

Mystake looked over what the three boys were wearing. "No, it doesn't look like you do. There's this one guy who works with people who can help you. His name is Dareth." She picked up a pen and started writing something down on a piece of paper. "Here's the address." She handed Lloyd the paper. "Tell him Mystake sent you. He owes me a favor anyways."

"Thank you."

"No problem. I owe your mother. Good luck and stay safe. Whatever you're doing is dangerous."

"We know." They waved goodbye as they walked out of the tea shop and towards the address that Mystake gave them. They walked into a different building that looked like a waiting room when they first walked in. They went up to the counter where a man was. "We're looking for Dareth," Lloyd said getting straight to the point.

"That's my name," Dareth said. "Could I interest you boys in some karate lessons? I have several of my own technics that I could teach you."

"No thanks. Mystake sent us. She said that you can help us to be able to blend in at the palace party tonight."

"That I can." He clapped his hands and a couple of other men came out. "Help our new friends out with outfits fit to wear at the palace party." The men dragged Jay, Lloyd, and Cole into the back and helped each other get suits for the party. Jay was given a blue suit and tie. Lloyd was given a green suit and tie. Cole was given a black suit and tie. "Nice work," Dareth complemented his associates and then turned to the three boys. "You boys now look like wealthy citizens of Ninjago."

"Thank you, Dareth," Lloyd said.

"Any friend of Mystake is a friend of mine. Look, I don't know what you boys are planning on doing tonight, but be careful."

"We will."

The three boys walked out of Dareth's shop and noticed that the party will be starting soon.

"Let's get going to the palace," Jay said and the trio started walking to their palace to try to pull off this dangerous mission.

A/N: Things are starting to get more interesting. The next chapter is the longest chapter I've written so far. I hope you enjoyed! The next chapter will be posted on Wednesday!