Chapter 7: We need to talk

~Night time~
Qrow gathered everyone in the living room, with Oscar switched to Ozpin, and Weiss and Yang were given the run down on everything so far, but apparently it turned out that they had already gotten a briefing from Raven Branwen herself.

Weiss: "The Maidens. Magic. Salem. It's all true?" Qrow simply grunted in reply.

Ozpin: "Miss Xiao Long, is this more or less what your mother told you?" Yang remained silent, a cold expression on her face as she stared down at the carpet.

Weiss: "Well, for the most part"

Yang: "Actually, you forgot something" she turned to focus her glare on Ozpin, "You forgot to tell everyone what you did to Qrow and my mother"

Jaune: "Uh, what is she talking about?" Qrow rolled his eyes, "Oh great". Ozpin seemed to ponder something for a second, "Hm, that's not a secret I thought she would give up so easily. Your mother must trust you a great deal"

Kai: "What secret?"

Ozpin: "My ability to reincarnate, though a curse, isn't without a few key benefits. Much like the maidens, I too possess a certain...magical power" He got up and began to pace around the room as he spoke, "Using this power, I was able to gift the Branwen twins the ability to see more, to move freely and be unburdened by their natural bodies" He came to a stop beside Qrow, "I...well, gave them the ability to turn into birds" he chuckled, "Rather ridiculous sounding out loud isn't it?"

Kai: "Wait what?"

Ruby: "Uncle?"

Ren: "You turned them...into birds?"

Nora: "Okay now you're just messing with us"

Jaune: "Tch, what else is new?"

Weiss: "He's telling the truth. We saw it. Yang's mom...changed, right in front of us" Kai slowly turned to face Qrow, "Qrow? You didn't tell me any of this" Qrow simply sighed and stared down at the carpet, refusing to meet Kai's gaze. Yang instead turned on Ozpin, "Why would you do something like that? I mean, what is wrong with you?"

Qrow: "Hey. That's enough. We made a choice. We wanted this."

Ozpin: "Granting this power to them was no trivial task, and I can assure you it was not done frivolously. I required assistance in gathering information on Salem's plans, as well as searching for maidens when their hosts became unclear"

Ruby: "Uhm, okay, so have you done this with others? Like General Ironwood? Or Professor Goodwitch?"

Kai: "It's probably not that simple" Ozpin nodded, "My power is finite, and, if I'm being honest, dwindling. The amount that I gifted to Qrow and Raven was, all things considered, rather miniscule. You see, centuries ago, I sacrificed a great deal of magic to 4 young women, who I hoped would use my gift for good. They, were the first maidens"

Kai: "Jeez, just how old are you?" Ozpin shrugged, "Old enough" he then turned to face Yang, "Miss Xiao Long, it was never my intention to lie to you, to any of you. There are just some matters that I prefer to...lay close to the chest..." he smiled at Qrow, "I believe that's how you phrased it?" Qrow nodded with a smile, "Yeah"

Ozpin: "Everyone has a choice. The Branwens chose to accept their powers, and the responsibilities that came with them. And later, one of them chose to abandon her duties in favour of her own self-interest. Now, all of you have a choice. If any of you wishes to leave, now is the time. There is no shame or disgrace in abstaining...only in retreat". Yang stood up abruptly, much to everyone's surprise.

Ruby: "Yang?"

Yang: "If Ruby sticks around, then I will too. If there's one thing I know about her, it's that she somehow always knows the right thing to do. But, if we're going to help, if we're going to keep risking our lives, then no more lies. No more half truths" Ozpin and Qrow shared a look. Qrow shrugged, and Ozpin turned back to Yang and nodded, "Understood"