Chapter Twenty: Fools

Nixon bursted through the metal door of the cellar, slamming it behind him and walking down the stairs with a heavy foot. He took a turn for his mess of blankets on the ground, finding Jakub there as well.

"What's up?" Jakub raised an eyebrow while watching Nixon grit his teeth. "What happened?" He questioned again.

"Nothing." Nixon growled. He paced around his area quickly, his hands becoming fists, emitting small bursts of purple smog every now and then.

Jakub stood up. "You need to calm down."

Nixon shook his head. He didn't need to listen to anyone. All he cared about were his own jumbled thoughts. He grabbed his head, pulling at his hair, his hands were extremely hot. He growled under his breath. Amara, she thought she could control him. It stoked his flaming anger. He stomped. Jeanette, she saw the invisible goodness inside him. He gritted his teeth even harder, she was blind. She thought she could see a part of him that had died years ago. No one could see who he truly was.

Jakub was close to Nixon now, forcing him to stop pacing. "You need to calm down." He hissed. "You're going to upset the others. They won't trust you if you're like this."

"I don't need their trust." Nixon shouted, pushing Jakub away.

Jakub stepped toward Nixon again. "Calm down, Nixon." He warned. They were gaining the attention of the others.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Nixon shouted even louder than before, sending a puff of purple smoke at Jakub. 

He deflected it. "Nixon."

"No." Nixon barked, sending another stream of smoke for him. Jakub worked hard to deflect it.

"Hey!" Shouts came from behind Nixon.

He ignored their protests and continued to move for Jakub. He didn't even know why he wanted to hurt him, he was just so angry

Two sets of strong hands appeared on Nixon's shoulders, pulling him back. Nixon fought against them, reading himself for a full out battle. They didn't control him, no one did. They were fools to think they could beat him.

"Nixon." Renzor's voice sounded in his ear.

Nixon wipped around so fast that he broke the grips of the hadis behind him. He met Renzor's eyes for a split second before looking over to see who owned the second set of hands; Ewan. Nixon shook his head with a dry laugh. 

"You two should know better." He let his hands heat up.

Renzor raised a hand. "Nixon, you need to calm down."

"You don't bring your outside issues here." Ewan added.

"You don't know me." Nixon snarled. He had no control over himself, not that he was trying very hard to contain himself. It felt good to release his anger, his emotions. This was how he could feel. Though pain.

"Listen," Jakub was behind Nixon again only he didn't touch him this time. Instead, he spoke coolly in his ear. "Back off of them, they won't listen to anything you say and you know that. Relax."

Nixon's fists twitched. He wanted to keep fighting but a part of him admitted that Jakub was right. He relaxed, taking a step back from Renzor and Ewan, standing next to Jakub instead.

"Thank you." Renzor nodded to Jakub more than Nixon. He turned and headed up the stairs, exiting the cellar with Ewan.

Nixon sat back in his spot at the wall. He brought his knees up and put his head in his hands. He couldn't think straight. Without violence, he was forced to face his thoughts on an emotional level. He couldn't do that.

"What's going on?" A female voice broke through the air.

Jakub spoke up first. "It's Nixon. We're not sure what happened."

Nixon felt the small familiar body take a seat next to him. "Nixon," she spoke softly. "Are you okay?"

He shook his head and then just shrugged in defeat. He knew he wasn't okay  but he couldn't bring himself to physically say the words. He wanted to say everything, let it all flow from his mouth, but he couldn't. At least not here, not with the people who didn't really care about him. They wouldn't care, he would just be supplying them with amo.

"I'll be fine." He whispered to her. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. "I just need to think."

She nodded against his shoulder. "Take all the time you need."

Nixon closed his eyes. Two vivd images hung in his mind. Amara and Jeanette. The two people he wanted to be with, and the two people he needed to be as far away from as possible. He didn't know what was happening.