Chapter Three: Heat of the Moment

Lights flickered. Music pumped through the crowd of people that danced. Some stumbled around attempting to wave their arms to the beat. Others shouted lyrics in all the wrong spots while in a trance from the bright colours that flashed around.

"Porter, right?" The bartender yelled over the music.

The young man looked up and nodded. "Yeah, that's me."

"Great." Without a word he slid a bill across the counter.

Porter sighed. The ignorance of people today frustrated him; would it have killed the bartender to try and engage in conversation? He fished his wallet out of the back pocket of his jeans and laid a few bills on the counter. "Done."

The bartender glanced up from the drinks he was mixing as if seeing Porter for the first time.

"Thank you."

"Yep." Porter mumbled. He slid off the bar stool and pushed his way through the crowd.

The door creaked as he opened it and a gust of wind caught him in the face. He mumbled something incoherent, adjusted his coat and began to walk down the quiet street. The bar, Nox, was one of the less popular places to go yet somehow it managed to snag a good crowd at five in the morning.

He ignored the few people that walked past him and focused on the crisp air. He kept his hands buried in the pockets of his coat and quickened his pace. He made his way down several different roads, ending up on the dirt road lined with old factories.

"Get away from me!" A shrill scream reached his ears. 

Porter stopped in his tracks, fixating on the sound.

"G-go! Stop it!" The voice wailed.

He jogged down the road, finding the voice coming from between two of the milk factories. He took the turn and to find a young girl was slumped against the blue metal exterior of the building.

He reached the girl and crouched in front of her. She looked much younger than he had initially thought. "Hey, miss?"

His appearance startled her. "What do you want? You're with him aren't you?" She began to panic.

"No, no. I heard you scream." He told her softly. "I'm Porter."

"Jeanette." She stuttered.

"Well Jeanette, let's get you out of here." He gently wrapped an arm around her waist and helped her up to her feet.

She kept looking around. "He's still here. The man who attacked me."

"You don't have to worry about him." He assured her.

She shook her head. "He's strong, he's bad." She insisted.

Porter smiled, "I'm stronger."

A man barrelled into Porter's side. The blow knocking both him and

 Jeanette flat against ground. 

Jeanette let out a whimper.

"I got this." Porter whispered into her ear before hoping up to his feet.

The man threw punches at Porter. He ducked and backed away, dodging each blow. Porter lashed out, kicking the man square in the chest and back into a dumpster. Stunning him long enough for Porter to prepare himself a cloud of yellow smoke appeared and swam towards the man.

The man cried out in pain.

"That's what you get, sick bastard." Porter spat. He watched at the vapour engulf the man, disintegrating him with impossible speed and strength. Once the man was no more, the cloud disappeared as fast as it had appeared.