Chapter Seventeen: Bandanas and Plaid

"Get up!" Jeanette stood in the doorway of Amara's bedroom, flicking the light switch on and then off, repeatedly.

  Amara squinted and rolled over to check the clock. "It's not even 6am. Dammit, what are you doing?"

  "I called down to the station, Trent said it was okay for you to take the day off. I told him there was family issues, he seemed really concerned."

  Amara groaned. "What do you expect us to do?"

  "Find Nixon."

  "It's not that simple."

  Jeanette left the light switch on. "Well come out and eat, toast and eggs are on the table. We'll discuss our plan then."

  Amara sighed and Jeanette left for the kitchen. She wasn't sure why she was doing this... It's for Nixon, she told herself over and over. But working with Jeanette? That was dangerous on her part. There was so many secrets she had to keep... What about if we find Nixon? Nixon was known for his anger... What if he lashed out when she found him? What if Jeanette saw? With a shake of her head, Amara got up and began to get ready before leaving her room.

  "Eat up." Jeanette told Amara as she sat down. "I expect us to be busy all day, so there won't be many chances to eat."

  Amara watched Jeanette butter some toast. "How many sides are there to you?" She raised an eyebrow. "You barely said anything the whole time you were here."

  "That's because you were never home. I was alone and I didn't know what to do... Not that I know now. But Travis is like a supporter, he's shown me the way to go and now I'm running for it."

  Amara chuckled. "Travis. Of course."

  "Oh." Jeanette blushed. "I didn't mean to give him away."

  "It's fine." Amara assured her. "He's a good guy. I should've made the connection when you said you were talking to a friend of Nixon's. He's always working at that blessed club, he's easy to find."

  Jeanette nodded. "Yeah. He was hesitant at first, but then he opened up when he knew who I was."

  Amara frowned. "How does he know you?"

  "Nixon brought me to Nox one night. Before I came here."

  Amara nodded. Nixon would have wanted Travis to see Jeanette incase she needed help. It was almost as if Nixon had planned it, but she knew better.

  "As for our plan," Jeanette started. "We're tracking down a gang. I was thinking you could run into work long enough to check through some files, and I could scan around the other side of town."

 "That's too dangerous."

  "I know my way around, I lived in all of those places." Jeanette pressed. "I'll be fine. If anything I can ask a few friends about any gang activity."

  Amara hesitated. "You're confident nothing will happen? I won't take long at the station anyway, I know where this stuff would be filed."

  "Exactly. I won't be there by myself for long anyway."

  Jeanette took the bus to the otherside of town. The side where the buildings were run down, the houses creaked when the wind blew past them, and not many people dared to walk the streets. Though it was only nearing 7am, most people were asleep if not headed into the lively part of town to find trouble.

  She shoved her hands into the pocket of her large hoodie. I was rule that you had to dress the part inorder to not get questioned by the residence. She strolled down the alleyways, crossing through main roads and checking out all the houses. Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary.