Chapter Twenty-One: Knowledge is Power

Amara and Stride entered through the front door, making sure it was locked behind them.

"Amara?" Jeanette called from the kitchen, coming out to greet her with a cup of coffee in each hand. When she took the turn and saw Stride, she stopped. "Who's this?"

Amara gave her a small smile of reassurance. "This is Stride." She introduced him and he gave Jeanette a quick wave. "He's here to help."

Jeanette was uneasy. She passed a mug to Amara as she came up the stairs, her own slim fingers still shaky. "How is he going to help?" Jeanette whispered.

"He has knowledge of the group." Amara told her with a nod. "Trust me, we need to talk with him."

Jeanette took her word for it and lead them both into the living room. She took a seat down on the couch, Amara joining her while Stride took to a single chair. She looked back and forth between the two of them, studying their expressions. Amara seemed blank as she had usually been the past weeks. But there was a twinkle in Stride's eyes, something that attracted her attention. She wasn't quite sure what it was but she assumed there was much knowledge in his mind.

Jeanette cleared her throat, damaging the silence. "We should start."

"Hm?" Amara's eyes locked onto Jeanette. "Right."

Stride nodded approvingly. "Yes, we should. Allow me to begin, I'm sure you both have many questions."

The two girls waited for him to continue.

"I know the ins and outs of the place where they're staying." Stride began. "I've been with them for a while now, I know their backgrounds and personalities. They're a group but it's easy to break them a part. Physically." 

"We can fight them." Amara stated.

Jeanette frowned. "Three of us against a group of what? There's no way."

"If we go in, Nixon's bound to help." Stride continued. "I can work from the inside, fire him up and start things. One explosion and whole room goes up." He stopped and crossed his ankles. "We need to move quickly. Nixon isn't himself, as I'm sure you're aware, but he's soon going to implode on himself. I fear the damage will be too much to repair."

Amara stiffened. 

"But don't worry. The tention in that group is at it's peak. I believe we will be successful."

"And what if we're not?" Jeanette spoke up. "What if we go in and Nixon wants nothing to do with us? What if he turns his anger onto us?"

"He won't." Stride was confident. "You will wait until after the explosion to enter. You'll be helping him."

Amara seemed satisfied with the plan so far. "Jeanette can't fight. That makes two of us." She looked to Stride, hoping he was a fighter. Whatever he was.

"I am aware," the news was no surprise. "She will wait after you are down fighting. When everyone is busy she will grab Nixon and get him out of there."

Jeanette nodded in agreement.

"So you can fight?" Amara questioned him. She wasn't one to rush in just to be blindsided. 

Stride smiled. "Yes, Amara, I can."

"Good." She placed her full cup down on the coffee table and folded her hands in her lap. "Let's run this over in detail a few times and then plan a time."

"That won't be necessary." Stride held up a hand to silence her interjection. "We must be ready for everything. Planning every move eliminates the ability to see all surprises. Trust me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't think you could do it."

Jeanette let out a long breath. "I just want to get this over with."

"Me to." Amara mumbled in agreement. 

Jeanette turned and looked to Amara. "You think we can do this right? That he'll come with me when I try and get him out of there?" Worry resided in her eyes.

"Yes," Amara agreed easily. "Besides, what do we have to lose?"

Jeanette's eyes glistened. "Exactly."