Chapter Seven: Protect Her

"For the sake of all that is good in the world, call him back!" Nixon busted into Amara's bedroom. 

She looked up from the laptop that rested on her wooden desk long enough to see Nixon's frown. "Call who?" She asked, reading from the bright screen. 

"Trent." Nixon muttered. "He's left several voicemails and I'm running out of excuses." 

"What's the big deal?" 

"Are you kidding me?" He shouted. "You left the guy at a moments notice and then take a sick leave at work. Amara, he probably thinks you're dying." 

"Mhmm." 

He stomped across the room and in a swift motion, slammed his sister's laptop shut. 

Amara's hands snapped back. "Excuse me?" She waved her fingers in Nixon's face. "I'd like to keep all ten of these." 

"Amara." He warned. 

"I heard you. Trent. Yes, I know." She re-opened the laptop. "I need to feed soon anyway." 

Nixon gave a nod and turned to leave. He stopped when one foot entered the hallway and peered back. "What are you doing?" He watched as Amara's fingers flicked across the keyboard. 

"Research." 

"What kind?" 

"Does it matter?" 

"Yes." His fingers tapped against the door frame. 

Amara gestured for Nixon to come closer and he did. She spun the laptop and tilted the screen back so he could see it. "I'm mapping. Porter took the girl where the red dot is." She pointed to the screen. "I've been searching through some files I accessed through the local police department. I'm checking for Porter's criminal record now." 

"Why track Porter?" 

"I'm looking for a connection. Where Porter has been, where he might go." Amara explained. "If he really did save the girl, then maybe he'll try to check up on her." 

"Jeanette." Nixon nodded, remembering the dark haired girl. 

"Jeanette?" 

"Yeah. I met with her yesterday." 

Amara stood up from the chair. "And you're only telling me this now?" 

"Why is it a big deal?" 

"Because!" She cried. "What if Porter saw you? Did you see him? Maybe he followed you..." 

"Hold up, hold up." Nixon raised his hands at his sister who's mine was reeling. "One thought at a time." 

"Tell me everything that happened." She demanded. 

He stifled a groan. "I picked her up at the police station and brought her home. She seems genuine, and her brother is over protective." 

"She told you that?" 

Nixon shook his head. "She didn't have to." 

"Do you think you can get her over here?" 

"I don't know. After what happened her brother definitely has a close eye on her. I doubt she'll go far for awhile." 

"Just use your," she snapped her fingers, "fancy seducing voice." 

"My fancy seducing voice?" He let out a roar of laughter. "You've gotta be kidding me. Seriously?" 

Amara threw her hands on her hips. "Just get her over here." 

"I can't." 

"Why not?"