Chapter Twenty-Three: Man of Many Faces

Nixon jolted awake at the sound of Renzor's voice booming through the cellar.

"Nixon!" He called.

Nixon scrabbled to his feet, watching as Renzor spotted him. Renzor stalked straight towards him and his fists clenched on impulse. He held Renzor's gaze, challenging him.

"What's going on?" The rest of the cult appeared, gathering along the side to watch the confrontation.

Alfie took next to Nixon. "I said, what's going on?" He repeated.

NIxon's jaw clenched and he nodded to Renzor, waiting for an explanation.

"I've recieved some recent insight." He began, looking down to his side as Stride appeared. "It seems there's more to you than you let on."

Nixon's brow furrowed deeper than before. He studied Stride; he stood there with a sly grin fixed on his face. Nixon chuckled. "I knew you were no good," he spat toward Stride.

Stride kept quiet and silently shook his head.

"Nixon," Renzor captured his attention. "Why don't you explain yourself."

"Well," Nixon pushed his fists down into his pockets. Jakub had now joined Alfie at his side, Nixon took a step away from them, not wanting to be too close to anyone in case things went south. "I would much rather hear what you think." He spoke with a hint of humour in his tone.

Renzor had a wry grin plastered on his face as if he enjoyed seeing Nixon out numbered. "Stride here has revealed your plan." Renzor nodded mockingly, "You seem to think you can take out our group." He laughed. "You really aren't the thoroughly bad guy you claimed to be. A fine actor, might I add."

Nixon swallowed. He didn't let his gaze waver from Renzor, not wanting to see the reactions of the others. He had to keep his mind focused on one target at a time, and this one was Stride. Nixon's mind shouted at him, begging him to cross the room right then and eliminate Stride from the picture. 

He felt a hand tug at his arm. 

Nixon turned back to see Alfie frowning at his shaking form. "Don't do anything stupid."

"Why, he already has!" Renzor announced, casually closing the space between them.

Nixon pulled away from Alfie and met Renzor in the middle. "Oh, really? Who told you that? Your fake hadis?" He cackled. "You're being playing by someone with no power."

"You haven't truly met him this." Renzor narrowed his gaze. "So do tell your plans for getting through all of us. I'm quite interested."

"Renzor." Elvira stood back against the wall with Zara and Ewan at her sides. Her arms were crossed and her brow furrowed. "Just get on with it."

He smirked. "El, you're no fun." Renzor fixated on Nixon again. "Explain yourself while I decide how to dispose of you."

"If you haven't caught on, we don't take deception lightly." Ewan spoke up, watching quietly from his place next to Elvira.

Nixon smirked. "Yeah, I see that." He shifted back and forth on his feet, deciding what to say so he could get a clear path out. "You're right, I never had the intention of becoming one of you." Nixon decided to admit some of the truth, not seeing as though they would ever believe him otherwise. "I'm more of a solo kind of guy." He shrugged. "No offence."

"That's no surprise." Renzor agreed. "You love your alone time."

"And my alone feeding." Nixon added. "But, anyway..."

"Then what were you planning?" Zara spoke up, stepping forward with a heat in her blank eyes. "Why even form relationships with anyone? Why bother feeding from me, letting me live?"