Chapter Four: La Culte du Grec

Amara barged into the house. "Nixon?"

She followed Nixon's voice into the kitchen and rushed over to him. "Well?"

He shifted his weight back and forth on his feet in an uncomfortable manner while Amara stared him down.

"What? You don't have the guts to tell her?" 

Nixon stifled a frustrated sigh when Brent strolled into the room. "I told you to wait until I called you." He groaned.

"B-Brent?" Amara stuttered. "What are you doing here?" She eyed him cautiously. 

"I was told you knew I was in town." Brent turned on Nixon.

"I told her."

Amara nodded. "Yes, he did. But I don't understand why you're here. In our home." She added.

"Well, allow me to clarify." He smiled down at her. "I'm following the Culte Du Grec. They've been working on recruiting new members and there's been an, unexplainable disappearance here."

"There are unexplainable disappearances everywhere." Amara shook her head, "Why look here?"

Brent sighed. "Because they found the ashes of the victim."

"Ashes?" 

"Yes. The man was burnt to a crisp Amara. You know only we can do that."

"Hold up." Nixon crossed his arms. "The culte de what?"

"La culte du grec." He repeated with a smooth French tongue. "They're Greek worshippers, a cult. They're a group of hadis and empusai - seductive female demons. They travel the world to discover more creatures and try to recruit them. Their main focus is on hadis because we have a combination of many abilities. They're fascinated with us," he snorted. "It's sick."

Nixon's brow furrowed. "So a group of seductive females and power hungry hadis are here looking for more hadis?" 

"Basically." Amara said flatly. "Stay away from them Nixon, they're bad. Worse than any of us have ever been."

"And that's bad." Brent smirked. 

She rolled her eyes. "How long do you think they'll be here?"

"Depends." He shrugged.

"On what?"

"What they find."

"Then it won't be long." Nixon interjected. "We're the only hadis in the city. They won't find us so they'll be on their way."

Brent tilted his head, thinking for a moment. "Neither of you burnt that guy?"

Amara shook her head, and clamped her lip between her teeth in a nervous manner.

"That's just great." Brent muttered. "It could be one or it could be a group."

Nixon waved him off. "Nah, no groups. Maybe someone passing through."

"Or trying to do the city good."

"I doubt it." Nixon scoffed.

"And why is that?"

"Because no hadis is going to try and do a human city any good."

Brent took a step towards Nixon. "Why? Because we're higher than them? Because they're beneath us?" 

Nixon shrugged, leaning back against the counter. "Basically."

"Basically?" He snapped. "Have you learned nothing from your sister? Putting ourselves above the humans does nothing for us. We can't expose ourselves to the Gods."