Chapter 1 - Avatar Day

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I was born in the forest, far away from what my parents called home. I was the little baby that could hear the plants breathing, and see how thin the line between life and death is.

My sister Teva was the first one to embrace me, instead of feeling cold when I came into the world, I had felt warm like never before. We used to have fun on rainy days, running in the mud and jumping rocks while we fantasized about being Earthbenders, but the sunlight disappeared not long after. The Fire Nation attacked our house, and our family had to run away and hide even from the Earth Kingdom. My father lost an arm that day, and as my mother and I cried for all the destruction and blood, I watched my older sister get up and help in the construction of our new home.

That day, my father lost an arm, and my sister's hope vanished.

I wish I can be like Teva, determined and strong, willing to do anything.

As we grew older, we both got our bending on her birthday. I remember the chilling sensation of her dark bending going down my spine, but my bending on the other hand made me feel safe, it was going out of my body like if it was fire, but it was something more and this was coming from the depths of my heart.

I knew something was changing inside of Teva the moment we began training under our mother's watch. I kept losing every battle and the victorious smirk she wore made me angry, bitter, jealous. I wanna be just like her, but not like this.

I disobeyed my mother, and instead of battling my sister I chose to sit in front of a river, and close my eyes. The breathing of every single creature is like a song, one that would last until they die. I recognized the colors of the soul, white is for innocence, gold is for kindness, and black for chaos. When I finally opened my eyes, the moon was in all its glory, but screams and echoes alerted me that someone needed help.

As I ran back home to alert my parents, I saw my sister being taken away by the Fire Nation. The little girl that was scared had disappeared as a huge pain in my chest arised, I felt a part of me disconnect from my body, and I stared with watery eyes at the path they fled. When I came to my senses, a golden image of me was floating behind me. The bodies from the soldiers I attacked laid on the ground, unmoving, pale.

I cried and screamed, and let everything consume me before I turned to my parents. That night I put on new clothes, grabbed food and water and left what I once called home.

"If you really saw me as your daughter, you wouldn't have treated me like a soldier."

Those were the last words I said to my parents.

I woke up harshly, shaken by another nightmare, the same one I've been having for over 9 months. I killed people, Fire Nation soldiers but still people. That ghost was indeed my soul coming out of my body, I never used it till this day, and I'm not sure if I want to use it ever again. My bending is not bending and I don't see it as one.