Chapter 4 - Bitter Work

After a good night's sleep, I was the first one to get up before Aang and walk away to a more secluded area so as not to trouble them. Sokka and Katara want to sleep and Toph is going to teach Aang earthbending, I am not needed.

I am not needed.

The strength with which I woke up quickly faded and instead of starting a class for my bending, I just sat down and stared into nothingness. After yesterday's accident, I couldn't look at them in the eye and my mind was full of my sister's face. She's okay, for now. But how long is 'for now'?

I know the Fire Nation plans to capture Aang, but me? Why would they want me? To make me into a soldier? My parents already did that job... And yet I'm not good at it... Uh no, I am good, it's just that my bending it's too powerful.

If I want to enter Fire Lord Ozai's kingdom and rescue my sister I have to learn to control it... And I need to trust it too.

I practiced many things during the morning, not only the power in my palms or circling to evade and to balance my soul but using it out of my body. One of the tactics that my father encouraged me to do, at least when I wasn't watched by my mother. Feeling and seeing my essence outside is weird, it's like a tingling on the skin but softer.

I practiced shields like when I protected Sokka, blasts and beams against rocks and even tried to get essence in plants and trees. But my soul is limited and I couldn't go beyond, I want to try to get my soul out of my body like the times I get angry, but it's impossible. I can't do more than this and it's infuriating.

"Dammit!" I'm so weak.

I sighed deeply and went back to camp, one thing I knew is that Aang must be doing better than me in learning earthbending. He's the Avatar after all.

"(Y/N)! Look out!" I heard Katara yell and raised my head to watch a big boulder rolling towards me. Automatically, I enveloped my hand in bright gold and used my palm to break the rock into pieces.

I huffed as I looked at my friends, each of them gawking at me. "Uuuh... S-Sorry about your boulder?" I smiled nervously. Toph came down from the cliff she was standing and ran towards Aang. "I guess I just panicked. I don't know what to say..." The Avatar apologized.

"There's nothing to say! You blew it! You had a perfect stance and perfect form, but when it came right down to it, you didn't have the guts! Even princess over there had the nerve to break it!" I didn't want to look proud but I did, I even blushed a little at what Toph said. But I hate that nickname tho, why did she have to stay with it??

Toph punched Aang, it wasn't that strong but it was enough to make him fall. "I know. I'm sorry..."

"Yeah, you are sorry! If you're not tough enough to stop the rock, then you can at least give it the pleasure of smushing you instead of jumping out of the way like a jelly-boned wimp!" Katara and I equally thought it was enough, Aang was having too much pressure on his shoulders. "Now do you have what it takes to face that rock like an earthbender!?" Shouted Toph, and Aang lowered his head sadly.

"No, I don't think I do." When he muttered that, Katara and I walked to him and to comfort him. "Aang, it's no big deal. You'll take a break and try earthbending again when you're ready." I agreed with Katara. "You also have to train your waterbending, don't you? I can take over to make dinner and you and Katara can work on that." I said.

"Yeah, that sounds good..." Aang said, looking at me and then at Katara as he stood up. I waved to Katara as they began to walk away from Toph and me. "Yeah, whatever. Go splash around until you feel better."

Feeling a bit worried over Aang's behavior, I followed Toph as she walked away. "Toph, don't you think you're being a bit too aggressive? Aang has a lot of pressure just being the Avatar, can't you go a bit slower?" I asked.