Chapter 8 - The Drill

Minutes went by since Hope was born, and the area was covered by the sweet innocence of the baby, yet in my heart was an ache I couldn't shake off. I exhaled deeply, trying my hardest to calm myself, and as always, Katara came to the rescue. "We're ready to leave at any moment, you okay?" I gazed at her, flashing her a small smile before dropping the act. "I feel nervous, Katara... No matter what I do, it won't go away."

Katara remained silent for a moment, looking away at the group before standing beside my form, hugging me with an arm. "Well, we did kind of go against a giant serpent and helped Ying give birth. It's normal to feel like this."

"I guess." I chuckled a little, thanking her silently for always making me feel better, she's just like an older sister. "Yeah, that must be it. I'll get over it as soon as we are safe." The waterbender nodded with a small smile, and we joined the rest to escort the family to the city, at some point Toph stood close to me, enough to feel the warm radiating from her skin, it wasn't uncomfortable but I couldn't say I'm feeling any better to let anyone near me right now... But it's Toph, even if I say a word she'll still do it. I see something in the sky, and I quickly realize it's Aang, flying in on his glider with Momo behind him. He landed gently, the animal perched on his shoulder while we stared in surprise. "Aang, what are you doing here? I thought you were looking for Appa." Questioned Katara.

"I was, but something stopped me. Something big." We looked at each other confused, and we hurriedly got to the base of the Outer Wall where Aang and Toph used earthbending to transport everyone up the wall. Sokka crossed his arms, glancing at Aang. "Now what's so big that Appa has to wait?"

"That." I widened my eyes when those words came from the airbender, furrowing my brows worriedly when I saw a giant drill at a distance ready to penetrate the wall of the city. When we arrived at the top, I couldn't help but shed a tear at the scale of destruction that thing could cause, innocent lives would be ruined forever. As the family huddles together, a guard calls us out, and we are taken to the general when Aang announces himself as the Avatar. The man behind the desk is, perhaps, too relaxed, even with the dangerous weapon outside. "It is an honor to welcome you to the Outer Wall, young Avatar, but your help is not needed."

"Not needed?" Aang raised a brow, and I glanced at Toph and she shrugged, not convinced at all.

"Not needed." The general got up from his chair and stepped out to look at the desert as we followed. "I have the situation under control, I assure you the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded."

"What about the Dragon of the West? He got in." Toph intervened his forever lulled senses with a good question, and by his small gesture, he was clearly taken aback. "Well... Uh, technically yes, but he was quickly expunged. Nevertheless, that is why the city is named Ba Sing Se, it's the 'impenetrable city'. They don't call it Na Sing Se." The man laughed but subsequently turned serious, walking past our group. "That means 'penetrable city'."

"Yeah, thanks for the tour, but we still got the drill problem." Toph chased after me as I went to see the drill up close, it was even scarier than I thought. "Not for long. To stop it, I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called the Terra Team." We heard the General say proudly.

"That's a good group name. Very catchy." I looked back at Sokka while Katara hid her face with a hand. "Not the time Sokka, and I do not think that team will hold on for long." I expressed as we watched the Terra Team launching their assault on the Fire Nation drill, they managed to overthrow one tank and get closer to the drill. "See? They are doing just fine, (Y/N)!" Sokka exclaimed.

The earthbenders wedge large earth spikes into the metal shell of the drill to halt it. However, the drill's segments separate, reducing the columns to crumbles, the team narrowly manages to conjure earth shields to defend themselves against an attack of flying daggers hurled by very familiar girls, they slide down and one of them effortlessly defeats the earthbenders through an acrobatic display, utilizing... Chi-blocking.