Chapter 2 - The Blind Bandit

I stared at the moon, unmoving, in silence as I heard the soft breathing of my companions sleeping... And Sokka's snoring, which didn't let me sleep.

It's been two days since I've meet Avatar Aang and his friends. Aang is nice to be around, very kind, and I guess that's the personality the Air Nomads had before everything happened. Sokka tried his best to sound and look manly and suspicious of me, but his childish curiosity over what I can do is very noticeable. Katara is the motherly type, and she made it very clear she still has an issue with me.

I stood and walked a few steps away from the group. We stopped next to a river before going to the town of Gaoling, I was scared when I mounted Appa for the first time and Momo decided to sleep on my lap the whole time, sometimes looking at the big creature makes me nervous.

I sighed and began playing with the water before seeing a butterfly landing on a rock close to where I was. The insect was beautiful, showing only the green underside with its faint white streak.

I turned my head slightly to see Katara walking towards me, by her expression I could tell she was tired and angry. "(Y/N), what are you doing awake?" She asked.

"I can't sleep with all the snoring... And I still get a bit nervous when I'm close to Appa..." I hugged my legs as Katara sat next to me, both of us looking at the river in silence. "So..." The Waterbender began. "You and your sister... You never found out why or how." She was referring to our bending.

"No... I don't even think what I have is bending, and sincerely I hate thinking it... That time we fought in that town was my first real fight in a while." When I didn't get a response to that, I gazed at her and found Katara's eyes widenly staring at me. "You're kidding, right?"

"Uhmm, no. Why would--?" I glanced behind Katara and saw the butterfly lying emotionless on the rock. When I stopped tho, Katara followed my sight and her brows furrowed.

"Only I can see it." I said. Katara's expression turned to a worried one when she looked at me. "The essence of every living thing, that butterfly was okay a few seconds ago, but now I see nothing... I hate it..." I hid my face between my legs.

"(Y/N), are you... A Soulbender...?" Asked Katara, but I said nothing. 

She rested a hand on my shoulder before getting up, and I watched her bury the small butterfly. The Waterbender sat closely to me afterward, and we stayed like that for the rest of the night till the sun rose, in silence.

// Timeskip //

We arrived in Gaoling an hour ago and Sokka already had his eyes on many pricey things. Katara and I went on like nothing happened last night, but she was less defensive when close to me, which I appreciate.

While they went on their things, I walked around the many street markets and watched their items, I smiled a bit in nostalgia when I saw a necklace that reminded me of my sister, so I decided to buy it and carry on my job.

The group told me about their small adventure in the swamp, and I wanted to help them find someone that can teach Aang how to Earthbend. Sincerely, I wish I could Earthbend just like both of my parents, maybe like that I could have helped more, after so many years, I still can't accept myself for who I am and what I have.

"(Y/N)!" I turned my head and found Aang, Katara and Sokka running to me. "Seriously, how can you walk this much!?" Sokka asked panting. I leaned my head slightly to the side and he just pouted, recognizing his mistake. "Oh right, sorry." He said as I giggled.

Sokka knows how long I was in the streets and he somehow forgets. My giggling stopped when I glanced at his new bag, and I crossed my arms. "What?? I deserve this!" Shouted Sokka as he hugged his bag.