Chapter 5 - The Library

After days of doing practically nothing but explore and train our bending, we've decided to finally move and go on a vacation. Sokka was very much against it, and I admit I didn't like the idea either, but it's not like I'm ready to take the Fire Lord down and even less alone.

Now we were just following Aang somewhere, the earth had many holes and I more or less knew what he was up to, so while the other stood far I kneeled near the airbender with curiosity as he took out a flute. "What's out here?" Sokka asked.

Toph bends down to touch the ground. "A lot, actually. There's hundreds of little--" Toph was interrupted by Aang, she knew the creatures under our feet. "Shh! I know you can see underground, but don't ruin the surprise. Just watch."

Aang plays a musical note on the flute and a groundhog-like creature emerges and repeats the same note. "Haha! Yeah! I'm putting an orchestra together!" I giggled as Aang smiled brightly, Sokka was not amused on the other hand. "Orchestra, huh? Well la-di-da...!" The creatures make the same notes as Sokka, and Momo jumps to one of the holes trying to catch one of them.

After Aang plays several more notes, Sokka plugs his finger into the end of the flute in frustration. "This is great and all, but don't we have more important things to worry about? We should be making plans." Sokka remarked.

"We did make plans. We're all picking mini-vacations." Said Toph.

"There's no time for vacations!" Sokka was very concerned about the war and the Fire Nation and I understand him completely. "I'm learning the elements as fast as I can. I practice hard every day with Toph and Katara. I've been training my arrow off." Said Aang, I don't know if that was supposed to be a pun.

"Yeah. What's wrong with having a little fun in our downtime?" Katara asked, walking over to us. I stood and cleaned my clothes. "I understand your worrying, Sokka. But we need time off, my energy has been kinda weird since I've begun my training, and Aang needs time to master the elements. First thing we need to do is not push ourselves."

"It's not like the Fire Nation will go anywhere." Said Toph, agreeing with me. The non-bender looked a lot more frustrated than before but tried not to lose his cool. "Even if you do master all of the elements and your soulbending, then what? It's not like we have a map of the Fire Nation. Should we just head west until we reach the Fire Lord's house? Knock, knock! Hello, Fire Lord! Anybody home? I don't think so! We need some intelligence if we're gonna win this war!"

Aang used his flute once more and a creature sang again, it makes me and Katara chuckle. Aang stood and put away his instrument. "We'll finish our vacations and then we'll look for Sokka's intelligence." Said Katara, making me smile brightly and Aang chuckle.

I gave the Avatar the map of the world and he showed it to the waterbender and I walked over to Appa and began climbing him, Toph used her bending to land on the bison's saddle. I noticed she never asks for help, for nothing. I want to speak with Toph about it but I'm afraid she'll brush me off, so I stay quiet.

"You've been weird. You aren't thinking about your bending, are you?" I looked over at Toph, and I know she can't see me right now but I still shook my head. "No, not at all. I'm just kind of against going on a vacation, but I also need it. I'm very nervous."

"Yeah, I know." She replied. I sighed and smiled, of course Toph knows. "Sometimes I feel like punching you."

"Yeah, I know." She grinned.

"Hey, guys! We're going to the Misty Palms Oasis! Everyone get on Appa, we're going on a vacation!" Aang shouted from afar. I helped Sokka and Katara get on the bison as Aang used his bending to get onto Appa's head, and we took off.