Five

"...AIN'T A SCENE IT'S A GOD. DAMN. ARMS. RACE" Groaning, I roll over and cover my ears with the blankets to dull the harsh noise. Rudely awoken by my alarm at 7am was not how I like to start the morning. Fall Out Boy stubbornly continues to blast out of my phone but I let it play, I like this song. Opening my eyes just a fraction, I take in the morning rays of sun just peeking through the blinds. Mocking me with its cheerful glow. I mumble to myself about why I decided to come to this awards thing today. Mum asked me again Friday night and I was quite ready to refuse, but she said if I came then she would let me stay at Kellins for the whole time she was in Detroit, Michigan. So I was pretty much blackmailed to be honest. I couldn't be bothered with this dumb awards show, all I wanted was to stay inside and eat my feelings. But I guess I don't really feel like scoffing a whole load of yoghurt today. I sit up slightly and make a half-hearted attempt to roll over and slap the alarm on my phone. Silence filling the room again, I breathe out a deep sigh and let my arm and head hang over the side of the bed for a few minutes. I study the carpet sleepily. A blur of grey filling my sight. Then something catches my eye, I see a piece of blue sticking out from under the bedside table. Narrowing my eyes, I focus on the smooth object hiding just behind the table leg, I shift my weight over the edge of the bed a bit more so I can reach down and grab it. Confused I hold it up to my face, a pencil. I turn it around so I can see what type, I see the engraved silver lettering about an inch from my thumb, 6B. I wondered where that went.
"Scarlet! Get up we need to leave at 8!" I hear shouting coming from outside the door to my room. Groaning I roll back over onto my stomach, why did we need to leave so god damn early? I bury my face in the pillow, wishing for at least another hour of sleep. But slowly, I gather my strength and drag myself closer to the edge of the bed, so I can swing my legs out and sit up. I let my brain tick for a few seconds before deciding to look at my suitcase. It was lying on the floor on the other side of the room, clothes spilling from all it's sides. Groggily I stand up and shuffle over to it, I pluck out a pair of black skinny's, the left thigh totally shredded, a grey Sleeping With Sirens tank I got about a year back from Kellin, I smile at the memory, and a red flannel to tie around my waist. Quickly I got changed into my chosen outfit and tied up my hair into a high pony tail, not really bothered about dressing up for the occasion. I put on some eyeliner too along with a bit of mascara, then grabbed my phone, earphones and rucksack, pretty much all I would need for the rest of the day, and headed over to my mums room. So we could make our way over to The Forum, the venue for tonight's major event.

The car ride was pretty uneventful. I sat in the backseat the whole time, staring out of the window whilst watching the outside world whizz by. Mum and her college used the whole journey as an opportunity to discuss the event in detail in the front seats. Talking over all the things that needed to be done and had been done, how many people they expected to cater for, the placement of drinks and appetisers, where the instruments would be wheeled after each performance, the set arrangement for each piece, what time the stylists are turning up... I mean the list just went on. I soon gave up trying to keep track of the conversation and put my earphones in.

But now, I'm sat on a leather couch in the venues green room, slouched against the arm with my knees drawn up in front of me. Mum lead me here when we first arrived before rushing off to help out with preparations. I look around, it's a pretty plain looking room, bland, white walls, a couple of office chairs standing alone in the corner. I thought for such an iconic venue they would at least try to dress it up a bit. I'm by myself for now in the dull room, only a few people have popped in to grab a lead or a chair or something, giving me a curious or guarded look before making a quick exit again. I've been in here for at least 3 hours, and I've finished at least 2 drawings. I cast a glance at my phone and read the time, 12:23pm.

Sighing, I swing my legs around and let my feet rest on the floor. My hands feel slightly cramped so I flex the for a few seconds before I grab my sketchbook and pencils and pack them into my back pack. I slip it under the couch, hiding it from view. I'll collect it later. I stand up and walk over to the door, twisting the handle and swinging it open to take in the organised chaos that is carrying out in the hallway. People rushing up and down, carrying furniture, shouting at each other through phones, I'm bewildered. In the room I couldn't hear any of this. I step into the hallway and close the door behind me, trying to dodge the mayhem as I make my way to the end of the corridor. People rush past, and I feel like I'm back on the streets of New York again.