Fourty Three

I've always loved the beach.

I have great memories as a kid of running down through the scorching sand and splashing into the blue-green waves, bucket swinging in one hand, spade held tightly in the other. Dad used to challenge me to sand castle competitions, Mum would always be the judge.
I watch now as the lanky teenage boys lope across the sand, thongs flicking sand out behind them, rubber rings and esky's propped over their shoulders. We've already dropped off all the gear for tonight back at Grandpas, he was surprisingly enthusiastic that the guys should crash in his backyard tonight. Ashton came up with the idea of camping, seen as its that far from the city. He called a couple of days ago, thought it would be a good idea for all of us to catch up. I was surprised that he called at all. But he remembered what I said about the bungalow, and they haven't been to the beach since they'd been back, it just made sense. What I didn't expect though, was for Michael to be here as well.

"How about over here?" Luke asks, pointing to a spot of sand that looks no different to the rest of the beach. We all follow him over to dump our bags, squinting out at the sun reflecting off the waves. I look around at our group, and take a small hit to my self confidence. The guys aren't bad looking for sure, but their friends look like they belong on those big billboards they post around the cities. Some of them have girlfriends, whom I was introduced to briefly before setting off. One of them, if I can remember correctly, is called Hayley. I watch as she drops her things onto the sand next to her boyfriends, a tall, well built guy with honey coloured skin and lengths of silky dark hair. She herself is blond, and gorgeous, I can't help but think to myself. Slightly jealous of her slim, but elegant figure, and skin as perfectly tanned as her boyfriends.
I dump my bag onto the sand.

"Who's got the sunscreen?" Ashton asks, always the responsible one. I push away the image of him in an elf hat and giant purple glasses. I watch from the sidelines as the guys and girls all place their stuff down and start applying their sunscreen, when Luke notices that Michael is still standing at the back, black hoodie and jeans, boots locked perfectly in the sand. I try not to look at him.
"Hey Michael! Aren't you coming in?" A few of them turn around, including Ashton, who's all encompassing glance rests on the pale boy.
"I don't swim."
Luke looks confused, "but, in the pool?"
"You sure you don't want to come in?" Another, one of their friends with a mop of surfer blond hair, coaxes, "The water looks pretty nice today mate." His face is friendly, I notice, he looks like someone that everyone is friends with, it has no effect on Michael.
"I don't swim." Michael repeats, before dumping his bag on the sand and stalking off to buy a hotdog from the food truck. I watch him go with unease.
"Hey, give me that." Someone says jokingly, and I turn to see Hayley's boyfriend- Leighton, I think his name is- gently snatching a SnapBack off her head, replacing it on his own before ruffling her hair and wrapping an arm around her waist. I sigh, and look down at my bare feet sinking into the sand.
"You need some Scar?"
I look up to see Ashton handing me the tube of sunscreen, I smile gratefully. In doing so, I also notice Luke trying to apply his own, reaching over his naturally wide shoulders to try and cover his back, unsuccessfully.
I chuckle to myself, "need some help Luke?"
He pauses, and looks at me sheepishly.
"Here, turn around." He turns his back to me obediently, and I squeeze a generous amount of sunscreen into my hand.
Ensuring that Luke's back is fully protected from the UV, the guys decide its time to test out the water.
"You coming Scar?" Ashton looks back at me where I'm still holding my towel protectively. I shouldn't feel self conscious, I think to myself, its not like Ashton hasn't seen me in my bikini before. Flashes of that day in the elevator pass through my mind. But then I catch a glimpse of the others, hopping delicately over the sand.
"In a minute," I respond, "forgot to do my legs."
He hesitates, like he's about to say something else, but then shrugs and follows the others down to the water. Sunlight rippling off the muscles beneath his own smooth skin.
I sigh, and slowly unwrap my towel, covering my pathetically pale legs, torso and chest with familiar smelling sunscreen. Feeling rather small and exposed, I step ungraciously down the sand towards the water, where Luke is bouncing around trying to hit the beach ball.
I flinch as a splash of ice cold water is thrown across my torso. He stops, shock and guilt forming his face.
"Scar, I'm sorry... Do you want to play?"
I look past him at the others floating with the roll of the waves. Calum with his rubber ring under his arms, the 5 other guys and girls bobbing happily under the gleaming sun, and Ashton waiting for Luke to serve the ball.
I shrug, "sure."