Chapter 1: I don't feel right when you've gone away

Broken by Seether

Colby

Everyone is downstairs, ready to go. Brennen and Jake are coming with us. Corey and Aaron are there to say goodbye to us but Sam is noticeably absent.

I whisper to Elton, "he knows we're leaving today right?"

"Yeah I told him," he whispers back.

"Guess he didn't want to bother saying goodbye," I say, leaving the house.

Elton

I watch Colby leave the house. Jake and Brennen follow him out after saying goodbye to Aaron and Corey.

I turn to Corey and say, "Look after Sam."

"I will," he says.

I leave the house and unlock my car. I drive us to the airport and we check in. We head to the gate and sit down. Colby has been unusually quiet the whole ride and walk through the airport. I hope he's okay.

Colby

Why didn't Sam say goodbye? We won't see each other for a while. You would think he would at least say goodbye.

"Colby?" Brennen asks.

"Huh?"

"It's time to board."

I grab my backpack and join the others to board the plane. We find our seats. Brennen is sitting next to me, Elton and Jake behind us. I lift up the window shade to watch the plane takeoff. I lose myself in my thoughts, thinking about Sam and hope that he's thinking about me too. A few hours in, Brennen takes my hand. I pull my hand away.

"What's going on with you today?" he asks.

"Nothing," I say.

"Come on Colby. I know something's wrong."

"No you don't. You haven't known me that long," I say.

"Well I want to get to know you better," he says, trying to take my hand again.

"Brennen stop. Seriously, respect my space."

"Chill out Colby."

"Just leave me alone," I say.

I turn back to the window and close my eyes. I wake up when we land and grab my backpack. When we get off the plane, Brennen pulls me aside.

"Look Colby. I'm sorry about the hand holding. I guess I misread the signs."

"It's okay. I'm just not ready for that type of contact. I'm trying to get over someone," I say.

"I understand. And I'm really sorry," he says.

"I forgive you."

Elton picks up our rental car and drives us to the hotel. We check in then go to get dinner after dropping off our bags. We get back to the hotel and call it a night because we're all tired. Brennen and I head to our room, Elton and Jake to theirs. I choose a bed and grab a change of clothes. When I come out of the bathroom, Brennen is already asleep. I sit down on my bed and check my phone. No new messages. I pull up Sam's contact and debate sending him a text before I remember our deal.

Sam (Back in LA)

Maybe I should've said goodbye to Colby. I miss him already but we agreed not to talk so I can't contact him.

Time skip

Their flight should've landed by now and he hasn't texted me. Someone knocks on my door.

"Come in," I say.

Corey enters and sits next to me.

"Hey. Elton texted me, they landed and got to the hotel safely," he says.

"Good."

"Have you heard from Colby?"

"No, we agreed to take a break," I say.

"Oh, I see."

"But I want to text him," I say.

"So text him."

"But the deal-" I say.

"Screw the deal. If you want to text him, then text him."

"Okay," I say, pulling up his contact.

Corey leaves the room and I write a text to Colby.

Colby

My phone vibrates just as I'm about to fall asleep. I roll over annoyed. My annoyance vanishes when I see who it is.

S: hey, I know we said we wouldn't talk but I wanted to make sure you got there okay

C: hey Sam. Yeah we did. Sorry I didn't text you. I didn't think you wanted to hear from me.

S: I was thinking the same thing about you. But Corey convinced me.

C: I miss you.

S: I miss you too.

C: are you okay?

S: no, I hate what's happening between us.

C: me too.

C: look, I really need to sleep. I'm barely staying awake right now. Can we talk later?

S: sure, night

C: night