Chapter 16: I wish I could be happier

Sam

We enter the cottage to find that it only has two bedrooms. Great, we have to share rooms and I know Colby and I will end up together. Sure enough, that's what happens.

We head over to the castle to explore as a group. Jake suggests that we split up after walking through the whole castle. He and Corey will investigate the castle while Colby and I are charged with getting the supplies from the cottage. We're unpacking our bags, looking for our equipment when Colby speaks.

"Sam?"

"Yes?" I respond, pausing in my unpacking.

"Can we talk?" he asks.

I sigh and turn to face him. He's sitting on the bed and he looks sad, close to tears. I sit next to him.

"I'm sorry," he says.

"For what?" I ask.

"Ignoring you this morning. I was hurt," he says.

I take his hand and to my surprise, he lets me hold it. He takes a shaky breath.

"Colbs?"

"I hate fighting with you," he says, tears filling his eyes.

"Me too," I say.

I pull him into a hug, holding him tightly.

"I love you Sam."

"I love you too."

"Let's promise, right now, to always talk and never go to sleep angry," I say.

"Deal."

I press a quick kiss to his lips and then we walk hand in hand back to the castle. We set up the room for the séance then leave to find Jake and Corey.

We begin the séance and start getting responses at once. First, we're led to believe that we're talking to Jean, the woman who died at the window. Then it's Queen Mary. Finally, we discover that something is messing with us, a demon. This unsettles us so much that we end the séance and hurry back to the cottage.

Back at the cottage, we agree that we have everything we need and take a break. Corey and I want to check out the outside of the castle and we take the rods with us. We ask where the spirits are and we're led to the river.

Corey

We're next to the river when something odd happens. Sam starts walking into the river. I stop him, pulling him out of the river. Then we hear someone calling for us. Must be Jake and Colby. I run toward the sound and Sam follows, coming back to himself. We meet them near the beginning of the path and Colby runs to Sam. He pulls Sam into his arms and leads him away. Jake and I follow them to the cottage.

Colby

Sam and I head to the castle to get our supplies. We do one last walk through, holding hands. Once outside again, I pull him close to me under the light of the moon. Our lips meet and my heart races. I will never get tired of kissing him. He pulls me closer and wraps his legs around my waist. Surprised, I lose my balance and we fall to the ground.

"Sorry, you okay?"

"Yeah. Kiss me," I say, wanting his lips on mine.

He looks at me and I see the love and desire in his eyes.

Time Skip

Sam detaches his lips from mine, breathless.

"God, I love you Colby."

"Love you too Sammy."

I move to kiss him again but he stops me.

"We should get back inside. Corey and Jake are probably worried," he says.

"Sam, are you okay?"

"Yeah, of course. I just never thought we would, you know, outside a haunted castle," he says, pink tinting his cheeks.

"Yeah, me either. I just thought you might regret it," I say.

"Never. I would never regret anything with you," he says, pecking my lips and moving off me. "But we really should get back."

"Yeah, let's go," I say, offering my hand to him.

He takes it and we walk back to the cottage to find Jake and Corey asleep in their room. We head to our room to sleep. I pull Sam into my arms, after we change, and he cuddles up to me.