Chapter 17: Trips and Surprises

Colby

Something weird is going on. Corey suddenly wants to go shopping and Sam isn't answering his phone. I bet Sam is planning something. Corey insists on shopping for more than two hours before he agrees to leave. He kept checking his phone too. Something is definitely going on.

We arrive at my apartment and I unlock the door to find it completely dark which is odd because Sam was here when I left. I should explain, Sam and I have been basically living together since we got back from London. Suddenly, the lights turn on and a group of people yell 'surprise.' Sam is in the middle of the group, smiling widely. I run to him and kiss him. He kisses me back and the room breaks into laughter and applause. We break apart and everyone heads to get food.

After dinner, Sam drags me to the couch. I sit down and he plays a video. All my friends recorded birthday greetings for me. After the video and present opening, everyone starts to leave. I stand at the door, saying goodbye and thanking everyone for coming. Once everyone has left, Sam pulls me into his arms.

"Finally, I get you all to myself," he says.

"Oh yeah? What did you have in mind?" I ask.

"Well, first we're going to dance," he says.

"Dance?"

He turns on slow music and pulls me close. We sway on the spot, kissing occasionally.

"Thanks babe," I say.

"Anything for you love."

I kiss him passionately and he kisses me back with equal enthusiasm. Later, we're lying in bed and cuddling. It's been a great birthday.

One week later

We're flying to Miami today for our trip to help Corey solve the mystery of the shadow man. We're staying in the presidential suite of the Biltmore Hotel in Miami before we head to Corey's childhood home. Nothing major happens until around 3 am. We start hearing footsteps and Sam looks through the peephole. He says there is a man in a suit outside our room. He stares at the door for a few minutes then enters the elevator. We split up to explore the rooms. We don't find anything except handprints on a mirror. Tired, we call it a night and head to Corey's house in the morning.

At Corey's house, we use the Ouija board Corey used in his childhood. Odd things happen that we can't really explain. We regroup outside, after saying goodbye, to take a breather. There we decide to take a short break from the Sam and Colby channel. Little did we know, it wouldn't be a short break but we'll get into that later. We call it a night because Corey is very shaken.