Chapter 13: The beginning of the end

Colby

We're on the plane, heading to Kansas. As we expected, Corey refused to come. Jake came with us though. I think back to our reading from the wiccan and wonder if this could be our new chapter. Sam grabs my hand and laces our fingers together. I smile but he sees right through me.

"You okay love?"

"I think so. It just feels weird without Corey," I say.

"I know, I was thinking about that too. We'll talk to him when we get home okay?" he says.

"Yeah, good idea," I say.

The plane lands and we head to Jake's house to wait until it gets darker before starting our investigation.

It's finally dark and Sam drives us to crybaby bridge. We meet up with a demonologist who agreed to help us with the investigation. He sets up his equipment while filling us in on what he does. He hands me something called an ovulus. Almost immediately, I think I feel something pass in front of me and shiver. The others noticed that the ovulus turned blue indicating that something did indeed pass in front of me. We pass the ovulus around but the only ones it's cold for is Sam and I which worries me. Do we have something attached to us? We need to figure this out. We end the investigation after exploring under the bridge and head back to Jake's house.

We sit down in the living room to talk. We're recapping the night when Sam and Jake suddenly bolt up.

"What's going on?!" I shout.

"Something flashed behind you!" Sam yells.

He and Jake run to the door and outside. I follow them, grabbing the camera. When I get outside, Jake is on the ground holding his foot and Sam is freaking out.

"What the hell happened?!" I ask.

"Jake tripped," Sam says, shaking.

I walk over to him and hug him. Just then, the light by the garage goes out. I mention that this could have been the flash of light but they disagree saying that the flash came from directly behind me.

We head back inside and Jake leaves the room. We hear him talking to someone on the phone but we don't want to eavesdrop. When he comes back, we ask him about it. He admits that Tara and his family are worried about him. We discuss that and what to do next. Sam mentions that we should go back to our first haunted location: the warehouse. I'm on board but Jake isn't, he wants to stay at home. I ask Sam if we can talk outside. He follows me outside and I turn away from him, facing the street. He stands beside me and takes my hand.

"Colby, what's up?

"First Corey left, now Jake's left. Are we being selfish, putting our friends in danger?"

"Oh love. Of course not," he says.

"I just want the whole group to come with us. It doesn't feel the same without them," I say.

"I know. But they'll come back. You'll see," he says. "For now, let's head home and figure out the rest later alright?"

I nod but before I can respond, Jake sticks his head out the door.

"Hey guys, everything okay?" Jake asks from the doorway.

"Yeah. We're going to head to Kansas City," Sam says.

"Okay. Drive safe," Jake says.

We grab our belongings and begin our journey home.

Sam

Colby drives us to Kansas City. I can tell he's a little upset. I take one of his hands off the wheel and hold it. He gives me a quick smile. About halfway through the drive, Corey calls Colby. I answer, putting it on speaker. Corey talks about how he feels left out and wanted to come with us. This surprises us but ultimately makes us excited. He ends with saying that he's ready to come back. We set up a time to meet with him when we get back to LA. Now all we have to do is get Jake back on board which I'm sure we can do. I look over at Colby and see a real smile on his face.