Chapter 63

Jennie - 

"Nobody move! Stay on your position intruders!!" 

We all froze in place, unsure of what to do, we did what was told. Like being in the middle of the stage, only the bright lights and the sound of our beating hearts were present at the moment. I glanced at the walls, but the bright lights hindered me from getting a good look at what's happening. 

A loud sound similar to a gate opening was heard towards the walls until shadows of people came into sight. As they got closer, that's when we realized that there were other survivors just like us. They were all carrying a weapon strapped on their shoulder.

I thought seeing other survivors would make us happy but why am I nervous?

Because their guns are pointed in our heads.

"Tell us your identity!" 

"I'm Kim Jisoo, I'm a researcher for Kronos!" Jisoo answers on behalf of all of us. 

"Show us your badge," they said and Jisoo quickly grabbed her bag. She was about to step forward but the man stopped her. 

"Stay in your position! Toss the badge over" he yells at her and Jisoo obliged. 

Another man picked up Jisoo's badge and scanned it with their handheld gadget.

"It's valid sir. She's Kim Jisoo from the US branch"  the man said.

"What about the others?" 

"They're with me sir" Jisoo as planned, will do all the talking. But this doesn't seem like talking, this feels like we are being sentenced to death.

The man grabbed his phone and walked away. We waited in agony, it felt like we were criminals as the other men watched us like hawks, ready to shoot our heads if we make an unauthorized movement. 

After a few minutes of waiting, the man returned. 

"Surrender all your weapons, no one is allowed to use any weapons inside the Oasis except for the soldiers. Don't worry, you will all be safe inside, I promise" he said and we all did what was told. 

It was definitely hard to let go of my favorite hunting blade, it's been my best friend since the apocalypse happened. I'm not used to being weaponless but we had no choice. One by one, we were scanned with another gadget that somehow tells them if we're infected or not.

I glanced at Ella nervously but she wasn't even scared. Her face had nothing but a blank expression as if she was already used to it. When the man started to scan her whole body, I was worried that they might realize that she's different. 

"You're good kid," the man says and I heaved a sigh of relief. 

A bus came to pick us up and we all boarded the bus with a bit of doubt. Everybody was quiet, holding their lover's hand. Luckily, I still have Ella to keep me company although I still wish that Lisa was here with me.

There were a series of checkpoints with countless soldiers inside the walls. We passed by a dark tunnel and when we reached the end, we were all speechless at the sight of an estate waiting for us. 

"Welcome to Oasis," the man on the wheels said.

Oasis was a private estate, it was large enough to accommodate at least one whole city. The land itself was no joke, getting inside this estate will be totally impossible for the zombies, not even humans can come here easily. The whole estate was surrounded by a lake on the other side and giant walls surrounded the way going to the land. It was definitely a safe place for humans from the chaos outside.