Chapter 20: I Trusted You

*Elena's POV*

It was raining heavily outside. Ethan and I had went back to the Castle of Darkness. After the extremely emotional and confusing moment at the Flame Castle, Ethan decided to bid Skyler goodbye and take me back.

What bothered me the most was that I was sitting quietly on his bed, twirling my fingers lightly with his black satin sheets, while he had his back faced towards me, and was looking outside at the crazily heavy rain.

The silence in the room was deafening. I was not aware of my feelings, and I had no idea what to say. Was he still mad at me? Was I still mad at him? Was everything going to be okay between him and Skyler? And most of all, how was I going to explain everything that happened between Skyler and I while he was looking for me?

Ethan inhaled deeply but didn't move an inch. I was wrestling violently with my soul not to say anything. Droplets of water were lightly falling on the ground from his wet hair.

Please say something. Anything.

"So this is it?" He said in a rough voice, still not turning to face me.

"I-I don't understand." I meekly said.

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about, Elena." Ethan's voice was dangerously low, allowing the coldness to lace his voice.

So he is mad at me.

"I seriously don't know what you're---" I was rudely interrupted by him again.

"You don't? Fine. Then let me ask you something, what happened between you and Skyler while I was searching frantically for you?" He said, turning around to face me with his arms folded over his chest.

My heart began racing as I heard him say what I had dreaded this whole time. I slowly got up from his bed taking small steps towards him. He had a venomously cold expression plastered on his face, which made my heart skip beats.

I wanted to tell him the truth but wasn't able to find the courage in myself. Instead, I stayed quiet, allowing him to burn holes through me with his eyes while I was hiding mine.
He took a deep breath in frustration, but I still didn't budge.

"It doesn't have to be this way between us, just tell me the truth." Ethan tried to console me.
Something in his gaze told me that he already knew the truth, but wanted me to deny it so that he could feel better and consider it false.

"You already know the truth." I bit the inside of my cheek.

I stole a glance at him, he was nodding his head constantly as he looked away, making my heart sear with pain. Ethan's eyes were glassy and wet.

"I don't feel anything for him, I promise... It was just an accident..." I begged him with hot tears clouding my eyes.

"Just don't... don't even try." He spoke with pain tinting his voice.

I began sobbing softly. The tears were flowing, and I didn't care if he saw my weak and helpless state, I just wanted him to forgive me. I loved Ethan, and I couldn't afford to lose him. The pain in his eyes became stronger as he saw me crying terribly.

"We've both made mistakes, I'm... I'm sure we can forgive each-"

"I TRUSTED YOU!" He shouted in my face, making me jump a little. His face was contorted in anger as he watched me with an emotion that made my heart break... hate.

"Please... don't do this..."I sobbed harder, desperately wanting him to forgive me.

"I loved you, cared for you, fuck, I was even ready to wait for you! I was letting you take your time until you were ready... being your fucking soulmate! And this is what you give me in return?" He spoke with hurt streaming his voice.