Chapter 21: Soars

Ethan's POV
I was pacing around the forest. It was my favorite place to go whenever I wanted to be isolated from everything. I forced the skies to a light grey in order to reflect my emotions, dull and empty. Many of the Princes had been complaining to me about the unnecessary thunderstorms and rains, but it was the only way I could take my anger out, without hurting some one.

I sighed deeply and rubbed my temples. It had been almost 3 hours since I had been pacing around in this forest. No matter how hard I tried, my thoughts always trailed off to one special person,
Elena.
I was confused and doubtful about her. She had hit me in the heart where it hurts the most. It had been almost four days since we hadn't talked. Whenever I would go to the castle, she would be sitting alone in a quiet spot, and on seeing me, she would leave right away. There was this unspoken cold ice between us, and I honestly don't think it'll ever crack.
She betrayed you, fool. She kissed your formidable enemy who hates you... who has always hated you...
My brain taunted at me.
"He's not my enemy anymore, now shut up!" I yelled to no one but myself in the dense and lonely forest. My efforts to make myself feel better were futile, the more I thought about her, the more empty I felt inside; and to make up worse, my inner self wouldn't give up reasoning against her.
You took your revenge from her. She deserved it... left a good sore in her and then walked out?
My inner demon was provoking me to madness. The more I thought about that night, about what I did to Elena, the angrier I got. Not only at her, but at the evil in myself.

You took her virginity in the most brutal way possibly, had no mercy at all, now did you?
I squeezed both sides of my head with my palms, trying to make the cunning little voice inside my head stop mocking me. What if Elena cried herself to sleep that night? Just the thought of it sent a pang to my heart.

And why do you care? She's a bloody cheater.
"Stop it... stop it please." I grumbled to myself, feeling like a hideous beast. I still didn't know why I took her virginity... out of anger, or lust? A bit of both? Should I go back to her? Ask her if she's okay... that I'm sorry for being such a jerk?

Don't even think about it. Have you forgotten about what she did do you, Darkness?
"She said it was a mistake... mistakes happen. I... I didn't tell her about Skyler's brother either." I argued with myself in a low, bitter tone, while looking out at the endless trees ahead of me. An owl nearby sat on a thin twig, making it break with a slight crack.
Whenever Elena wasn't with me, I felt a chunk of my soul missing, it's almost as if I need her.
You're pathetic. The little voice inside the dark part of my soul had no mercy for Elena, and no matter how hard it would be, I was going to listen to it.

I sighed deeply, making my way back to the castle. A part of me was craving to see Elena, while the other half was nervous and reluctant. Even if I wanted to forgive her, she would never forgive me. Our connection was exhausted to the extremes from both ends, we both had pulled the strings too far.

Tonight the Dark Ball would commence in my castle. It was held annually, and all the Princes, along with their soul mates were to be invited. More than culture, it was royal custom. I had already made sure that one of my servants had informed Elena about it.
But how would I confront her, let alone dance with her? I still felt uneasy about inviting the Prince of Fire to the ball, but what's done can't be undone.

What if she refuses to dance with you, and embarrasses you in front of everyone! What if she goes and dances with Fire instead?

"She'd never do that...I'm sure she wouldn't." I tried hard, consoling myself.

-Dark Ball commences, Elena's POV-

I felt nervous and self conscious. It was almost impossible for me to stop glancing in the mirror every minute, trying to make sure I looked okay. There was something in the pit of my stomach, which was warning me about the ball.
I didn't want to confront Ethan, especially after the string of misunderstandings stirring between us. How was I supposed to dance with him and pretend like everything's okay?! My long black chiffon dress looked malevolent against my pale skin. It tightened at my waist and let loose right below it. The make up done by one of Ethan's servants really highlighted my icy eyes. I had the classic "black swan" look for tonight.